Matching mortar colour

M

marsaday

MY house is red brick built in 1910. The mortar used was with lime.

Any tips on matching up the mortar for when i block up a window?

i have made a mix of 5 sand, 1 cement and 1 lime and it looks dark compared to the current mortar.

i have made a mix of 4 sand and 1 lime and it looks better, however it hasn't set yet and so i am not sure i will use this method.

what about 5 sand, 1 lime, 1/2 cement?

Sponsored Links
If your house was built with lime mortar then it is best to repoint with lime mortar. A strong cement mortar can damage the brickwork over time.
The sand is a very important factor in the colour.
4/1 sand/hydrated non hydraulic lime is too weak. Recent analysis of older lime mortars has shown that most of the mixes were 1.5/1 or 2/1 sand/lime with added pozzolans making the lime slightly hydraulic.
If you want to use a cement mortar you could try a mixture of white cement with the mix. This will give a lime coloured mortar.

oh, ok so you can buy white cement. didnt know that. i think that is the solution.

is white cement much more than normal?

Sponsored Links
In the following picture, we have:

bottom left: 1 part WPC, 5 parts sharp sand (yellowish)
bottom right: 0.5 part WPC, 0.5 part OPC, 5 parts sharp sand (yellowish)
top: 1 part OPC, 5 parts plasterers sand (yellow/whiteish)

Over time, all three have gone quite a bit lighter as they've dried out, so if you make any test batches make sure you're patient with them.

Gary

thanks, thats useful. you didnt do that for me did you ?

By the way, I didn't try plasterers sand and WPC, because the experiment to that point suggested that it would come out like tooth paste!

If the house is that old with a lime mortar it would be a shame to use a cement mortar with it a lime based mortar gives a far superior look and would blend a lot better with the existing. I would also stay away from places like Jewsons and Wickes as there sands are too soft for pointing unless you mix 66 - 33 sharp / soft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back