MATHS HOMEWORK FOR A 12 YEAR OLD

This means the river is a (650-350) + 650+ 350 =1300m wide.The key element is "on the other bank",

Adrian, if the river was 1300m wide, then the half way mark would be 650m, the point at which they passed each other. How could they meet at the middle of the river when they both started off at the same instant but at different speeds. Clearly the faster boat would reach the central point first and travel a further distance before meeting the slower boat. Back to the drawing board.

Sponsored Links
Ive stood there many times and I know how wide it is :LOL:

Therefore the boats always meet at the same relative point, 350 from one bank and 650 from the other.

understand this. this is a cumulative addition, its not exponential yet rigid due to the distance and times.

yet another ridiculess question due to lack of parameters.

why keep trying to your kids home work?

if these are the questions being asked? refer the muppet and get them commited :evil:

if these are the questions being asked? refer the muppet and get them commited :evil:

Assuming that your user name is an abreviation for What Do I Know, then the answer is.....................................very little!

yet another ridiculess question due to lack of parameters.

why keep trying to your kids home work?

Sufficient paramaters are given and someone has proved the right answer. ;)

Sponsored Links
Does anyone actually know the answer to this?

Is the question not one of these where they throw in all sorts of information that is actually irrelevant to the question and is only there to try and make you think that it's harder than it actually is?

And I'm not even going to try and work it out cos I was crap at maths!!

yes but if a skein of geese are assaulted or encounter a conveyor belt midstream, everything is out the window ;)

Assuming that your user name is an abreviation for What Do I Know, then the answer is.....................................very little!

ok :evil:

Everytime the boats meet one is 35om from shore the other is 650m from shore.
The hyperthetical answer to the question is the hudson is 1km wide which is actually untrue

so what?

if that has anything to do with education then it explains why we are breeding a generation of muppets :evil:

The ten minute stop is irrelevant.
The ten minute stop is the thing that makes the problem (as stated) an insoluble one.

If you consider the total distance travelled by each boat up to the second meeting point, the faster boat has travelled 700m further than the other in the same time.

If there is a ten minute stop for both boats, even if it is not at exactly the same time, the total distance travelled by each boat will not change.

seems to me people are over complicating things, remember this question is set for a twelve year old and is not advanced calculus

My son handed his homework in on Monday but wouldn't let me see the answer to this and four other questions. All he would say was that the figures provided, were the distances that the slower boat had travelled before meeting the faster one!

Sponsored Links