matt emulsion on top of silk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a ceiling to do. It's red emulsion onto plaster. The plaster is sound, it was a new ceiling about 12 years ago.

I'm going to do it white. So it'll take maybe 3 coats to change cover it. I've got matt emulsion I've just bought, but found some silk emulsion, that is maybe a few years old.

Any problems using the silk to start (to get rid of it) then 2nd and 3rd coats in the matt?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You are probably making work for yourself. For the sake of a few quid I would buy some more good quality matt white and just give it as many coats as it needs. Be prepared to apply at least three - possibly four or five. Red is a blighter to mask. According to some decorators, you may also suffer adhesion problems putting matt on top of silk, unless you sand the silk down really throroughly first. Life's too short! See:

//www.diynot.com/forums/decora...ently-can-i-apply-matt-on-top-of-silk.318326/

Mike,

A few questions if you don't mind, you say that your existing paint is red and it was applied direct onto plaster/skim. 1st do you happen to know as to whether there was the first the application of a mist |(thinned emulsion) before the finish coats were applied and is the red paint of a matt or silk/sheen finish.

Dec

Thanks for the replies folks.

Yes, in the end I just started with the matt. It's Dulux and it was on offer in B&Q for £17 for a huge tub (10 litres?). So to avoid any problems I started with matt. Ha'porth of Tar and all that. Also this has got to go on fast, so I'll be repainting as soon as poss, so maybe the silk then matt thing might lead to more problems there.

The first coat is covering pretty well, no problems with adhesion at all. Only got a little bit done, most of the time so far showing my 10 year old daughter how to use a roller - maybe not really fair for her first painting experience to be a ceiling! But I think 2 coats might do it. Under pressure of time here. If worse comes to worse can put a 3rd coat on even with the room furnished, with care and dust covers.

The existing is more terracotta than red. I'm sure I would have put a thinned coat on first, that's what I always do with emulsion onto bare plaster.

Cheers, Mike

Sponsored Links
Glad it's going well!

We bought a house once which had been let to students and the ceilings were all painted black with gold and purple stars stencilled on them. Walls dark purple. It took about five coats of a neutral colour to get rid of it all!

Glad it's going well!

We bought a house once which had been let to students and the ceilings were all painted black with gold and purple stars stencilled on them. Walls dark purple. It took about five coats of a neutral colour to get rid of it all!

So it was you, I always wondered who bought my old place. Surprised you felt it needed changing!

Glad it's going well!

So it was you, I always wondered who bought my old place. Surprised you felt it needed changing!
Ha! You should be ashamed of yourself, in that case. The state you left that toilet in was unspeakable. :eek:

Glad it's going well!

Ha! You should be ashamed of yourself, in that case. The state you left that toilet in was unspeakable. :eek:

What toilet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back