Max distance between oven and power outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We had a new 32-amp circuit installed to accommodate the location of an oven in our new kitchen. We also had an additional 13-amp socket added at low level for the fridge.

We had isolation switches for both of these outlets installed above where the counter level will be.

In her infinite wisdom, SWMBO has decided that the location of the tall unit that will accommodate the ovens and the fridge should be reversed with the fridge at the beginning of the run of units and the tall unit with ovens at the end.

This now means that the ovens will be about 2 meters away from the outlet and the same for the fridge.

The kitchen is not ordered yet and I'm still insulating between the joists before putting the flooring back down (services are in the void under the suspended floor).

Do I need to get the spark back to alter the location of the outlets or can I have a flex installed to cover the distance between the appliances and the outlets?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
So if I need to extend the flex to reach the outlet that's not an issue?
Correct - provided that the 'extending' cable was of an adequate size and that the connection to the exiting cable was done 'satisfactorily'.

The 'best solution' would be to replace the existing flex (again, with one of adequate size) with one which was long enough (hence without any 'joins'), but that may or may not be easy (at the oven end).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Correct - provided that the 'extending' cable was of an adequate size and that the connection to the exiting cable was done 'satisfactorily'.

The 'best solution' would be to replace the existing flex (again, with one of adequate size) with one which was long enough (hence without any 'joins'), but that may or may not be easy (at the oven end).

Kind Regards, John
That is the route I'd go down as so far every oven/cooker I've worked on has had a plate/cover over the terminals and replacement has been easy, . I'm sure the time/situation will come where it is not easy though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back