Max LED wattage for a fixture

Actually the particular bulb I want to buy will replace a dimmable standard incandescent bulb. I guess the only way to test it will work is by trying?

Sponsored Links
You can try, but most Regular dimmers require a load of at least 40watts for them to work properly.
You will probably need to change the dimmer for one compatible with the LED. Varilights V-PRO seem to work well.

Is that total load or per lamp?

We have two circuits in the kitchen. One with about 10 downlights and one with only 1. So if it total load switching the 10 down lights should work?

But I guess switching over is not a big issue is it? Only the switch needs replacing? They don't seem that expensive so the major cost is labour.

Sponsored Links
Ok. More questions.

Both circuits are controlled by the same physical dimmer (it has two dimmer knobs). One currently has 1 incandescent e27 on it and the other has eight 35 watt GU10 halogen downlights.

I am going to order the one e27 led dimmable and see if it works in the circuit. For the others, I have the pictured fittings. Or those mr16? I don't know.

In any case, if I were to go full LED, I have to alter these, or is the switch the only thing I have to alter?

Attachments

• 14989883395051282568718.jpg
    14989883395051282568718.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 84
It depends on the dimmer. The load requirements are usually written on the back.

The back? I just pulled the plate off and there was nothing written there, so I assume you mean on the back of the entire dimmer (i.e. I need to unscrew it out). I am big scaredy cat when it comes to things like this.

I have read that the best way to figure this out is to just try the bulb as it if it doesn't work it won't damage the bulb or the circuit..

If I try a led gu10, do I need to switch all the lamps, or can i switch only 1?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back