Max no of computers before RCD trips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a rough guide to the number of computers that can be installed on a circuit before you get tripping problems caused by earth leakage?

I presume under 3 is OK ( I have this at my home), but what about say 5?

I realise that it will depend on each individual item of equip, but just looking for an idea as at design stage at moment...

Thanks
SB

Sponsored Links
I beleive the figure is 3ma per computer, so around 5 computers should be fine, unless the RCD is slightly over sensitive.

I'm not sure when you cross the border into High Integrity earthing etc?

Sponsored Links
Hi BAS

Thanks - will investigate the protected cable idea, but I've read various debates, mostly on the internet about whether this does actually comply......

Steet conduit not an option as it's a domestic set up and this would look even more pants than trunking!

SB

Just realised this a few moments ago. I think its more IET bollerx, but this is from the good book.

Flush steel conduit does not comply with 522.6.6 or 522.6.8 because it does not satisfy "the requirements of these regulations for a protective conductor"

The regs (543.3.3) state that if steel conduit is used as a cpc then every joint must be available for inspection.

I thought everyone ran a separate CPC inside conduit now anyway. So it would only be the conduit that was unearthed if there was a break (in fact two breaks, as it would be earthed at each end), not the accessories.

Erm ... MICC? Polishes up nice with some brasso

The regs (543.3.3) state that if steel conduit is used as a cpc then every joint must be available for inspection.
What joints would there be apart from where it's bushed into backboxes, which could be inspected by removing the sockets?

Conduit to BS 61386 Conduit systems for cable management - is defined as equipment and as such meets 526.3 (v).

A conduit system includes its couplers and other fittings.

I can't see why, for an office littered with computers, screens, printers, routers and wall-warts etc, and festooned with power, network and phone cables, something like that would be unacceptable.

Even in a home office, and the advantage there it's its easy to remove the lot when the use of the room changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back