Max span of joists

Sponsored Links
My question relates to the drawing below.

The guy that drew the plans is not an architect, therefore I am finishing off the work with the builder and structural engineer to finalise the roof structure which is also a roof terrace (hence the larger beams)

The way he drew it is shown via the purple line, but this falls right over the window on the left and right.

My suggestion is shown in red, which then means the joists are all shorter, picking up existing walls.

The blue box is a window lintel/beam

steel-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
The way he drew it is shown via the purple line, but this falls right over the window on the left and right.

My suggestion is shown in red, which then means the joists are all shorter, picking up existing walls.

The blue box is a window lintel/beam

Which colour purple or red?

Given even the minimum domestic loading for floor joists (75*220 @ 400 c/c) gives you a max span of 5.3m - neither.

I am finishing off the work with the builder and structural engineer to finalise the roof structure

But if you are already employing an SE, why are you asking us ?

Because it seems neither logical nor intelligent. You are paying a professional to do a job and then ask people whose qualifications are entirely unknown to you.

Seems a recipe for conflict.

Without knowing anything about the roof design, section sizes or design criteria, it's hard to comment.

Best use of smaller timber lengths and sections would be to span the beam from that pier between the sink and double doors and onto that blue rectangle (which would be a UB)

Or use I-beams

f 5.3m - neither.

i dont under stand your reply?

I assumed your red and purple lines were timber floor joists. I didn't realise they were proposed RSJ/UB. This really needs designing by an SE as LABC will want calcs.

Ditto woods - I mean, what size section are you and your builder *thinking* of using?

The red line is the current proposed RSJ, with floor joists running at 90 to this, @ size of 225 X 75 @ 400 cts.

I am (+builder) thinking that putting the RSJ as per purple line is best, and then running joists (as above) at 90 to this which is as shown by the gree lines.

This would give shorter spans.
The roof is a sunken mansard design,which pitched sections shown as thin blue line, flat roof section will be roof terrace.

I am working with a SE, and obviously LABC (panning approved, and drawings approved, just need RSJ cals)

I am also looking at structural timber joists (e.g I lam beams or metal web timber joists) both of which might get round the steel (which is not a major issue)

As for the question " why ask on this forum" why not? I like to get as many opnoins as possible and then take it from there.

If people have noting constructive to ask rather than "why ask question" question why you are on a form?

Thanks to all others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back