Maximum load for three gang light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm after advice on installing a 3-gang light switch.

Currently I have a 2-gang switch, with 1-gang switching an outside 150W PIR operated halogen floodlight and the other gang switching two interior 60W ceiling light fittings.

I want to replace the two interior fittings with halogen spotlight fittings (one with three bulbs and the other with four) and then add another switch for two low voltage cupboard lights.

So the new switch will be 3 gang with one 150W exterior spotlight, two halogen interior spotlights and two low voltage cupbaord lights.

What is the maximum load I can have off one switch? The current two gang switch has one live feed (goes to common, then short link bridges to other comm) and then two switched lives (presumably, they are not tagged) going off to the fittings.

Do I need to add live feeds (one for each gang) to ensure I'm not overloading the single live feed?

Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks!

Sponsored Links
It depends on the rating of the switch, but I think that your biggest problem will be where you get the neutral from. Are you also aware that adding circuits in a kitchen is notifiable?

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like I need to do my calcs on the load vs switch rating. Do you think the single live feed will be a problem? Obviously the calcs will prove this out. Haven't bought the fittings yet so I'm not sure on the loads. There is another switch close by that will be redundant when another fitting is taken out. Maybe I'd be better off just using this but I wanted to reduce the number of wall switches if possible.

I am aware of the regs and of the restrictions for kitchens, bathrooms etc. I don't plan to do anything without consulting a qualified Sparks. I'm a competent DIYer but I am also aware I don't know it all. Just reccing the job to see if there's any more chiselling of plaster to be done.

I take your point on the neutral. There is plenty of access above to existing JBs but as you say, if it's in the kitchen it is notifiable. I need to check the definition from the regs. The area that would require the new cable is not the kitchen but it is "open plan" to the kitchen, within a few feet (so maybe it is the kitchen, as far as the regs are concerned). Still not aware enough of the regs to know if I can touch it even if it's not in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back