mazda 323 wheel bearing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all have a bearing noise from one front wheel hub ? is which one . if when i am driving i steer to the right sharp it goes for second if i steer to the left its there still . so which side is it garage said they have spun them and cant hear which one it is . i have changed a rear fiesta bearing before which is tapered. are these bearings on mazda on a tapered shaft? if so when i turn to the right is the noise going because the bearing is being pushed up taper tightening it . or is it because there is more load on one side . any way if any mazda mechanics on here love to chat find out more .

thanks for great site all

Sponsored Links
all wheel bearings are tapered, this is called thrust bearing. the bearing inner race has a straight bore which when its properly seated will stop on a shoulder that is machined on the axel. now when you place the outer race over the bearing only tighten it up hand tight, spin the bearing, hand tighten a bit more and back off enough to fit in the pin for the nut.
you should take off the right front tire,note where the retaining nut position is, remove and look at the bearing race. it should be clean,smooth and have grease in it. roll one of the bearing mediums with your finger and feel for dirt or flakes of steel. assembly if good and try the left front. do the same. remember that bearings like to be clean and don't overpack the bearing with to much grease as this will overheat it and lead to failure. good luck eh!

all wheel bearings are not tapered. usually all rear whell bearings are, or 4x4s, any car ive changed bearings on, the front wheels do not have tapered bearings, they are pressed into the hub! especially cars with abs, as the bearing will have an exciter ring for the abs sensor to pick up on

yes guys but doesnt answer the ? when i steer to the right sharp when driving the sound goes for split second when i steer to left the sound of bearing is still there . so which side has the bearing gone ?

Sponsored Links
Change them both, if one is going, the chances are, the other has done the same milage,,, carlsberg

put car on level ground and out of gear with h/brake off. push your foot against bottom of wheel and push the top of the wheel back and forth. Do this on both sides, you will notice play on one side indicating bearings out of adjustment/worn. No need to replace both sides unless both sides need replacing.

if you steer to the left and the noise stays or gets worse,you have a right side bearing problem.As it could initially be only a couple of balls or rollers deteriorating,you may not detect any play yet.

yes mud so when u say right side do u mean drivers side right as you sitin car look forward.

The right hand side is always on your right as you sit in the car,no matter if it's RHD or LHD.The weight transfer as you turn left is making your right hand bearings growl.I don't know how your Mazda is configured,but there will be two rows of balls or rollers.Possibly one broad race with two sets of balls,or two separate bearings.Both have to be changed even if one appears ok.
Some outer races are impossible to remove without a press,check up before getting stuck in.

Sponsored Links
Back