MCB and cable identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace a broken shower unit, but want to check the size of wiring and the capacity of the MCB currentyly fitted - but I don't understand the markings

A new consumer unit has recently been fitted with RCD and MCB's

The MCB for the shower circuit is marked "B32 61/B32" - being old-fashioned I am more used to seeing something that says e.g. "40 amp"!.

The cable is marked "basec bs6004:2000(CH) IS201:2001 HAANI"

I think the HAANI may refer to the manufacturer.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
The MCB is a type B with a rating of 32 amps. The MCB indicates a max 7.2Kw shower, this is dependant on the size of the cable and how it is installed though (although this should have been assessed when the CU was installed). See here for dimensions of flat twin and earth as a rough guide: //wiki.diynot.com/electrics:cable_types:flatpvccables

Without seeing the cable size, its install method and its length you must assume that a B32 mcb (32AMP) is the max allowable and this would limit you to a 7.5kw shower (dribbly on full heat) :(

Edit:Damn you 123 ;)

That's great, thankyou, exactly the information I need to make sure that the replacement shower does not exceed the capacity of the wiring etc.

:D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back