MCB/Consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a disconnected consumer unit (old economy 7) next to main consumer unit. I want to connect unconnected one to main one so that I can use wiring that was in for storage radiators. I do not know how to add MCB to spare place on working unit to wire complete non-working unit to it. There is no over-riding switch to isolte working unit so I am worried. Help please.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have a spare way in your current working consumer unit you can feed the disconnected consumer unit off a MCB, actually get an electrician in, I re read your post

strongmr said:
I have a disconnected consumer unit (old economy 7) next to main consumer unit. I want to connect unconnected one to main one so that I can use wiring that was in for storage radiators.
Do you know the combined load presented by all of the storage heaters?

You need to know this because connecting them up to one way on the main CU will, in all probability, overload that way, and perhaps the whole CU.

I do not know how to add MCB to spare place on working unit to wire complete non-working unit to it.
If you don't know this, then you're embarking on something that's way outside your capability.

There is no over-riding switch to isolte working unit so I am worried. Help please.
You should be worried. For one thing, the work you're proposing is almost certainly notifiable to the LABC. For another, electricity is more dangerous than you seem to realise, and it's entirely possible that you could cause a fire in your house by doing what you're intending.

There is a safe and correct way to connect the heater circuit to your supply, but it's beyond the scope of your knowledge and the best advice anyone can give you is to find a qualified and 'Part P registered' electrician to do the work.

Sponsored Links
I am only wanting to use them as socketes so load will not be high.

I am fairly competent but am simply worried about opening consumer unit when unable to switch supply off first.

I have never fitted mcbs - I am used to old fuse box units.

strongmr said:
I am fairly competent but am simply worried about opening consumer unit when unable to switch supply off first.quote]

this statement screams to the fact that you are NOT competent..

for a start there is a main switch in the consumer unit to switch it off.. then the only live wire are the big red and black ones comming from the meter.. ( or grey ones with red and black tape / rings on them.. )

I would definitely not do what you are proposing..

get a qualified sparky in as you will have to notify the building control authority anyway since it's adding new circuits and adding a consumer unit.. this costs you money and you'll need to peovide test results for the circuits you are adding..

a sparky would probably put in a new set of tails and use a henley block to bouble up on the supply tails..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back