MCB keeps tripping on lighting circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend runs a community center and the lights for his office, gents & hallway are on the same MCB and it keeps tripping out. I have turned off all the light switches but it still trips, there are also extractor fans in the gents but I don't see how they could cause a problem if the the light switch is off. Any ideas please. I have tried connecting to a different MCB so that is not the problem.

Sponsored Links
Theres a fault on the circuit. As its a public building you shouldn't try and fiddle with it yourself and should call a competant electrician. If it is a council owned building then there will likely be a facilities helpdesk you can ring to log a fault and have someone sent over to make repairs

Could be anything from a faulty fan, cistermiser, damaged cable to faulty emergency light fitting.
As Adam says, as it is a public building you need a sparky to fix it.

Have you also switched any isolator off that are connected to the fans?
and is this a MCB or a RCD/RCBO that is tripping?

Sponsored Links
It is a 13A MCB. I have isolated all the light switches and the water heater, there isn't an isolator for the extractor fans. I have checked all the light fittings for loose connections. I just thought if it was something simple I could save the club a bit of money, I have a bit of training and experience in electrical installation, but not so good at fault finding, thanks.

Are you sure, Never seen a 13A MCB. Lights in commericial are normally on a 6A or 10A breaker

definitely a 13A MCB, I thought it seemed high but there is a water heater on the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back