MCB siting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced my CU with 12 way split load 6+6 RCD one half.
I have 2 lighting circuits
2 Ring mains
and 1 20Amp FCU
I have not put any of these circuits on my RCD side of the board.
A mate of mine told me today to put the 2 ring mains on the RCD side.
Does anyone think i should bother, after all i had no probs with last CU?

Sponsored Links
In the first instance yes you need to put the rings on the side of the rcd.
This is for added safety,and a must if any outside equipment can be plugged into any of the sockets,ie lawn mower etc.

What type of supply do you have, (look in the reference section at the top of the posts)?
What does the 20amp mcb supply?

why did you replace your unit with a split board if you had no intention of using the rcd side? that is the whole point, for safety the more on the rcd side the better. i do work in rented accomadation and landlords want all circuits on rcd

Well i needed new one so it made sense getting RCD anyway, and lets face it they all pretty much come with RCD anyway...but thanks for replies folks

Sponsored Links
jacktomo said:
Well i needed new one so it made sense getting RCD
Not if you weren't going to use it!

What on earth were your plans? Why do you think they make split boards? Why did you decide not to put anything on that side? Do you know what you're doing? Do you have a TT supply?

Yes i do know how to use it, i got it in case i wanted an electric shower installed at a later date.
What would you have suggested sheds, buy one for £2 less without the RCD?

fireman22 said:
i do work in rented accomadation and landlords want all circuits on rcd

Ahh? So landlords design electrical installations now eh? Or is it that they don't give a **** if their tenants are plunged into total darkness when there is 31ma of leakage on the fridge :eek:

no my customers would prefer to send their tenants into darkness than into grave! and after the things i`ve seen some tenants do 10mA trip might be better

Fireman22, putting lighting circuits on an RCD is stupid, dangerous and insane. If people are dumb enough to mess with a supply then putting lights onan RCD will not stop this. I know you will say it makes it safer, but having no lights on a communal staircase is asking for a prosecution and large compensation claim.

It amazes me how many sparks wack in a new CU with 30mA main incomer.

I have seen a few installs with two CU's, both 30mA incomers, one lights, one 'the rest'. This is a better route if you insist on RCD protection for peice of mind.

RCD's seem to be being installed willy nilly in recent years - I see no problem relying on the earth loop to provide disconnection for such circuits.

paulh53 said:
The contractors even put the whole house (TN-S) on a Main switch RCD,
Which was a nightmare when burglars tried to disarm an exterior PIR floodlight, tripping the main RCD, and leaving my in-laws in total darkness while people where trying to break into their home, :evil:

:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back