MCB Tripping

J

Johnmelad502

My daughter has just moved into a new house (new to her) and when she uses the electric cooker the fuse keeps tripping.

I pulled the cooker out today and there is a 40 amp cable running from the cooker to a 13 amp plug which is plugged into a double socket on the wall. This is on the same circuit as all of the downstairs plug points.

Should an electric cooker be on its own circuit?

Sponsored Links
yes

an electric cooker must not be supplied from a socket circuit.

not all cookers need to be run on its own circuit as it depends on the rating of the oven.i.e if it is below 13amps then it can be plugged in.

not all cookers need to be run on its own circuit as it depends on the rating of the oven.i.e if it is below 13amps then it can be plugged in.

BS7671 recommends connecting cookers, ovens and hobs above 2kW (so pretty much all of them) on their own dedicated radial circuit to avoid potential overloading of a ring final circuit (Appendix 15 - 1(iii)).

Sponsored Links

The cooker is 13 amp so not below 13 amp.

You really need a new radial circuit to supply it then.

And that will it cost her (ballpark figure) how much.

08-01-17_money8.jpg
[/url]

Edited to correct silly typo :)

Must have quite a lot plugged in to the rest of the circuit if the cooker trips the breaker every time it's switched on? (presuming it's a RFC on a 32A).

Not right agreed but a common set up and doesn't usually cause any problems, maybe something else amiss...?

... the electric cooker ...
Should an electric cooker be on its own circuit?
I think "Electric cooker" says it is an Electric Cooker. Never see one (except miniature bedsit cookers) that could reasonably go on a 13A plug.

Gas cookers, however...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back