MCB without appliances keeps tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The downstairs MCB ring main that controls the sockets keeps on tripping after around 4mins even when no appliances are plugged in?

I've been told it could be a live and neutral wire touching somewhere?, can this fault be found with a plug in electrical tester?

Any other tests i can do before calling in an eletrician?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could also be a live touching an earthed conductor somewhere. You're unlikely to find it with a socket tester.

If you're lucky, you might be able to narrow down the search by listening for a fizzing/crackling noise, especially if water ingress has caused the problem, as it will then be producing some steam somewhere.

It is vital to remember to switch off the power once you have located the general area, before you proceed to search manually

Sponsored Links
If a B32 MCB is tripping after 4 minutes that means there's a current of about 60A flowing.

So wherever the fault is, there's about 14kW being dissipated.

Robin - imagine the heat from 14 1-bar electric fires concentrated in a very small spot.

You need to get an electrician ASAP, and in the meantime DO NOT turn the circuit back on.

If a B32 MCB is tripping after 4 minutes that means there's a current of about 60A flowing. ... So wherever the fault is, there's about 14kW being dissipated.
Indeed - although I would probably have expected 14kW for 4 minutes to 'show itself' (as smoke, flames or smell). The MCB could be faulty. Nevertheless ...
You need to get an electrician ASAP, and in the meantime DO NOT turn the circuit back on.
That it definitely the only sensible course.

Kind Regards, John

Even though there is nothing plugged into the circuit, is anything else connected to it via a permanent connection or FCU. Central heating? Exterior lighting / garage? Cooker hood? Oven?

Have you carried out any DIY recently that involved nailing down loose floorboards, drilling any holes or similar activities?

Has a insulation resistance test sprung to anyone's mind? My first bet is you get a low reading of around 3.8-4.0 ohms. (Yes you read right, ohm - 1 millionth of a mega ohm.)

Also how long has the problem existed and is their any outside equipment/lights/cables fed from the circuit what could be causing the issue?

i.e. Has water got in any junction box/perished cable somewhere?

Also agree with others, unless your skilled, competent and have the right test gear; just get a qualified electrician in.

If a B32 MCB is tripping after 4 minutes that means there's a current of about 60A flowing.

So wherever the fault is, there's about 14kW being dissipated.

Robin - imagine the heat from 14 1-bar electric fires concentrated in a very small spot.

and in the meantime DO NOT turn the circuit back on.

It was precisely the point I had in mind that a fault of that magnitude has to be producing some visible or audible signals.
However, I accept that it was foolish of me to suggest anyone take such a course of action without pointing out the dangers involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back