MCB Won't Stay On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a little gremlin in at the mo, turned off the main power in the consumer unit today as well as all MCB's. Had to drill a hole near a lounge socket, so this was off as a precaution.

When I flicked all MCB's back on and the mains, the cooker MCB doesn't stay on. I have drilled no where near the kitchen so haven't gone through a cable.

Have tried all MCB's off and just the cooker one, still flicks off. Even when all Power in the consumer unit is off the cooker MCB doesn't stay on.

Now I haven't looked into swapping around yet with the sockets mcb, is this something to try. Does the mcb sound faulty and my switching it off killed it?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
If the main switch is off with no power in the house
Then yes it sounds like you need a new MCB.

You could try turning off the red cooker switch but it sounds like a new MCB required.

Have you tried pushing it all the way to the bottom and then back on again?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your feedback - have tried the suggestions and still not staying on. It's just a two position switch, so no reset option. Got to get a sparky in for wiring electics to an outhouse so this is another job for him!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back