MCBs in other boards

EICR codes to things which aren't within the scope of BS7671?

I often make observations regarding other services and mark them as for information only.... for example inadequate provision of emergency lighting, fire alarm issues (panel in fault, etc)

If, whilst doing an EICR, you happened to notice a portable appliance which, although not plugged in at the time, was clearly not fit for purpose (frayed/damaged lead, dodgy plug, broken insulation etc.etc.) I presume you would bring it to the householder's attention, but would you also code it on the EICR?

Normally would report it to the site manager of the premises, and ideally (if possible) remove it from service and place it on his desk so he has to do 'something' with it. The report would then contain a non coded comment about recommending PAT of appliances

Indeed, what about a visible extension lead which wasn't actually plugged in at the time of the EICR?

Thats alright, extension leads are fine for temporary use, however if it was in a laundry room and there was a washing machine no where near a fixed outlet and a extension lead hanging on the back of the door, the installation is still not fit for purpose!

It is something you miss when you test out of hours, its difficult to judge an installations fit for a particular purpose if you dont see how the facility is used, but you make a reasonable judgement

Sponsored Links
EICR codes to things which aren't within the scope of BS7671?
I often make observations regarding other services and mark them as for information only.... for example inadequate provision of emergency lighting, fire alarm issues (panel in fault, etc)
That's fair enough - but what about coding on an EICR things which don't directly relate to BS7671? As I said, what surprised me was Eric telling us that ESC guidance is to give C2/C3 (depending on whether it goes through a door) for in-service extension leads. Would you perhaps find a way of rationalising the coding it in terms of inadequacy of sockets, based on one of the vague 'catch all' requirements of BS7671?

Kind Regards, John.

I generally base on the NICEIC for guidence of that...

Code C3 for most places an extension lead is used as fixed wiring on a permanent basis (eg above a workbench screwed to the wall and plugged further along), moving to code C2 if its likely to be subject to damage... shut in a door, under a rug, strung washingline style around the place, run behind gardening tools in a groundsmans shed, run where it poses a trip hazard, obstructs a fire exit, etc. Code C1 is very rarely applicable to observations regarding flexible leads, and is reaserved for those connected to the fixed wiring at a location fused totally inappropiatly (in DB main switch, etc), and supply arrangements using a lead with two plugs, etc

I generally base on the NICEIC for guidence of that...Code C3 for most places an extension lead is used as fixed wiring on a permanent basis (eg above a workbench screwed to the wall and plugged further along), moving to code C2 if its likely to be subject to damage... shut in a door, under a rug, strung washingline style around the place, run behind gardening tools in a groundsmans shed, run where it poses a trip hazard, obstructs a fire exit, etc.
That sound essentially the same as Eric reported the ESC guidelines as saying, so it again brings me back to my question. Are those codings being done 'despite' the things in question not being directly within the scope of BS7671 or, when applying such codings, are you thinking of a non-compliance of the fixed wiring with BS7671 (e.g. on the basis of inadequate sockets)?

I'm just trying to learn how people think about EICRs!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
when applying such codings, are you thinking of a non-compliance of the fixed wiring with BS7671 (e.g. on the basis of inadequate sockets)?

Yes, sorry I assumed that was obvious from my replies, but reading back, perhaps it wasn't. An installation with extension leads used an a fixed basis is representative of an instalaltion which is not fit for the use to which it is being put to.

If its as simple as just an extension lead as described then an improvement (i.e. more socket outlets) is recommended. i.e. the wording of C3. If a lead is run subject to damage then it becomes potentially dangerous, the wording of C2.

This thread has drifted so far off topic the OP has probably wandered off to do something much more constructive :D - Me on the other hand am using as a distraction whenever autocad annoys me so much that I have to take a break :LOL:

This thread has drifted so far off topic the OP has probably wandered off to do something much more constructive :D - Me on the other hand am using as a distraction whenever autocad annoys me so much that I have to take a break :LOL:
Much the same here. I'm battling with a vast pile of very messy numerical data, trying to make some sense of it and of an even more messy apology for a report about it - so, like you, period distractions, no matter how far off the topic of forum threads, are very welcome :)

Kind Regards, John.

If I could just nudge it back to the original point.
I understand the reasons for why we should not mix boards and MCB's.

I was interested in your thoughts on doing slight alterations on the board cover / busbar so a same make MCB would fit.

I have to say, I would prefer to fit a different make that fits rather than cut bits out of the consumer unit lid and bend the busbar etc, etc.

Alternatives include rearranging the board if you can utilise an existing mcb. If there is a spare mcb but is too large you can make it supply a new submain with an enclosure containing the correct, lower mcb.

Other ideas would be fitting a separate 1 or 2 way board from the meter tails. Or change the whole board if practical, possibly a worthwhile exercise if RCD protection is needed.

At the end of the day, if the only practical solution is to butcher the consumer unit, I suppose it's got to be done if it can be done safely, though so far I've always found another way. E-bay of course is very handy if you don't mind fitting secondhand bits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back