MCD and RCD tripping at the same time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a RCD tripping before when some incidents were related to water ingress, and MCB tripping with appliance faulty/misuse. Today, when I was using 2 hobs, an extractor fan and a tumble dryer at the same time, I experienced both MCB and RCD tripping. There was no prob for me to push MCD and RCD back on, but I am still very nervous. What might cause both MCB and RCD tripping, overload, damp, or short circuit?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
MCB trips when excessive current is running through the circuit ,because of overload or short circuit ,when it trips it can sometimes cause the RCD to trip as a consequence.

.... What might cause both MCB and RCD tripping, overload, damp, or short circuit?
'Damp'/water ingress can cause an RCD to trip, but very unlikley to trip an MCB. 'Overload', per se, would only trip the MCB. A fault between Live and Earth (either in wiring or some connected appliance/equipment) could trip both (although the one tripping first may prevent the second one from tripping).

However, as has been said, an MCB tripping (because of overload, fault or 'short') may occasionally cause an \RCD to also trip (although, in theory, it shouldn't!).

Kind Regards,

I turned out that there is a problem with my induction hob. Error code E6 on 2 burners. Anyone has an idea what it is, how to fix it, or how much to get it fixed? There is only one burner working. I am wondering if I should use the working burner before an engineer could visit.

Sponsored Links
My induction hob required a dedicated 32A supply. Is yours just on the same circuit at the rest of the kitchen?

MCB is B32. It is sharing btw fan, refrigerator, microwave, dryer, induction hob and washing machine, maybe dishwasher. It sounds too much. My SMEG hob model is SI5952B. I will never dry my cloth when cooking:(

I assume your hob supply cable has a plug on it ,that is plugged into a socket,which is on a ring final circuit ? And the hob has a fault that's tripping the MCB.

Not so sure, @terryplumb . Moving in for 5 years, and something is still mysterious to me. The Hob has a fault now. - Showing error E6. But can I use the others burner before an engineer can visit.

Cannot find any help during Xmas & new year holiday :( I really don’t need 5 zones. I can only manage 2 at a time. It is so expensive to replace, but it is built in kitchen, what can I do? ALas!

Attachments

• 01FBBD22-C99A-4721-B9AE-1A207E0E71BE.jpeg
    01FBBD22-C99A-4721-B9AE-1A207E0E71BE.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 100
If they heat up without tripping a breaker then you could use them. If the hob trips a breaker ,then obviously you can't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back