MCB trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pulled out tumble dryer, and caught tumble dryer cable and shorted it, mcb tripped and rcd, disconnected tumble dryer cable from socket now socket ring main mcb causes rcd to trip after about 5 secs. If I leave this off everything ok. Only seven year old house. No problems before.

Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
most likely is that you've broken something inside the socket when you yanked on the flex with the TD..

why were you pulling the TD out anyway? this might have bearing on the possibilities..

Changed socket same problem, I am thinking of poss MCB, RCD fault, any thoughts? Don't know enough about these to find out if a short circuit could damage MCB or RCD or is it ring main?

You'll be needing a sparky!!! It could be all sorts of things. plenty of us with spare time in yorkshire ;)

Sponsored Links
For it to take 7 seconds I would suspect a neutral - earth fault. And to instruct a DIY person on how to test for a neutral - earth fault has too many bits if not followed to the letter could present danger.

As a result I would advise you get a spark in to do this for you. Especially since the test gear is so expensive and with a fault like this you do want to be sure everything is repaired A1.

Thanks to everyone who replied, It turned out to be the fridge/freezer in the garage!!

The garage socket is connected to the kitchen ring main.

TD must have damaged FF.

Some frost free fridge freezers allow condensation to drain into a tray on top of the compressor, where it is evaporated off during normal operation.

If the power is off for a while, and the fridge starts defrosting, the tray can overflow, dropping water into the electrics :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back