16A MCB trips when tumble dryer is on

How hot do people think a 16A MCB should get when passing 10A for tens of minutes?

When I pulled the old one out it was very hot. But maybe that was because I'd reset it a number of times in the previous 15 mins.

Yes, check that; are they the same brand?
Same brand and model number - both MK Sentry B16s. I'll try it tomorrow, when I've actually got some washing to dry!

Sponsored Links
Jimbo, do you have anything else which draws a substantial current, ideally approaching that of the dryer (maybe a fan heater or suchlike), that you could plug into this socket and see what happens?

Kind Regards, John

Or a 3kW kettle?
I considered that, but given that it apparently usually takes about 20 mins for the MCXB to trip with the dryer, I'm not sure a kettle would be workable. Unfortunately (for this test), other than tumble dryers, 3 kW plug-in loads are not common - which is why I suggested a (probably only 2 kW) fan heater.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Leave the lid open. :)
If you're talking about a kettle, I think that most would take a lot less than 20 mins to boil (and then switch themselves off, unless one 'interfered' with the automatic switch-ff!), even without the lid on.

I know what I would probably do if I needed to have a 3kW load for >20 mins supplied through one plug, but I'm not going to describe it here!

Kind Regards, John

Leave the lid open. :)
If you're talking about a kettle, I think that most would take a lot less than 20 mins to boil (and then switch themselves off, unless one 'interfered' with the automatic switch-ff!), even without the lid on.
I don't think they know they're boiling with the lid open.
I suppose there may be different types.

I know what I would probably do if I needed to have a 3kW load for >20 mins supplied through one plug, but I'm not going to describe it here!
:eek:

I don't think they know they're boiling with the lid open. I suppose there may be different types.
As you say, they obvioulsy varies. My usual one certainly does discover that it's boiling with the lid off, although it doesn't make that discovery until a short time after boiling starts.
:eek:
I wasn't thinking about anything particularly naughty (just 'the obvious', really)! On reflection, the simplest way would probably be to plug in a 2-way (or more ways) extension lead and then plug two loads totalling 3kW into it (e.g. two fan heaters, one running at 2kW and the other at its 1 kW setting).

Kind Regards, John

Is it a condensing tumble dryer? Does anything happen 20 mins into it's cycle?

PROGRESS!!!

I put some drying on this evening, and the MCB tripped. I reset it, and almost immediately I noticed the sound of arcing within the RCD, on the neutral side where it screws into the busbar. Busbar is tight but when I switched it all off and undid the clamps, the busbar was too hot to hold. So clearly the arcing is heating the busbar, heat is being transferred to the MCB which is tripping.

So off to Screwfix tomorrow for a replacement RCD! Will let you know whether this fixes it, but I'm pretty confident!

Thanks all for you help and suggestions.

... almost immediately I noticed the sound of arcing within the RCD, on the neutral side where it screws into the busbar. Busbar is tight but when I switched it all off and undid the clamps, the busbar was too hot to hold. So clearly the arcing is heating the busbar, heat is being transferred to the MCB which is tripping. ... So off to Screwfix tomorrow for a replacement RCD!
Before you rush off to Screwfix ... are you sure that, although the screws were tight, the RCDs terminal 'cage' (or whatever) was correctly gripping the busbar? With some makes, it's quite easy to tighten the screw without realising that the busbar 'lug' is not actually being gripped in the terminal cage!

Kind Regards, John

Before you rush off to Screwfix ... are you sure that, although the screws were tight, the RCDs terminal 'cage' (or whatever) was correctly gripping the busbar? With some makes, it's quite easy to tighten the screw without realising that the busbar 'lug' is not actually being gripped in the terminal cage!

Kind Regards, John

That was my first thought when I heard it arcing, but yes it's all clamped up properly.

That was my first thought when I heard it arcing, but yes it's all clamped up properly.
Fair enough, although I imagine that it would be a pretty unusual fault for an RCD to develop - the L and N conductors essentially just go straight 'through' (straight through the sense toroid and the switch contacts), so the problem would have to be at the termination of one of those conductors or, possibly, a problem with the switch contacts.

I look forward to hearing the outcome. If it were me, and if replacing the RCD solved the problem, my next step would almost certainly be an autopsy on the RCD!

Kind Regards, John

Hi folks,

I replaced the RCD, dryer has been running for 45 mins now without a problem, no arcing from the RCD, all seems well! (y)

Thanks to everyone for their interest and help, really appreciated.

I replaced the RCD, dryer has been running for 45 mins now without a problem, no arcing from the RCD, all seems well! (y)
Thanks for the update. That sounds very promising. I'd still be interested to know what the inside of the old RCD looks like!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back