16A MCB trips when tumble dryer is on

If the dryer draws more than the rating sticker states, does this mean it's faulty?
If that happened, it would mean that the appliance was faulty in some way - but, in my opinion and experience, that would be an extremely unusual sort of fault.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
So the previous dryer also caused this MCB to trip!
That's an interesting fact which I don't think you told us before...

So the previous dryer also caused this MCB to trip! That's an interesting fact which I don't think you told us before...
As you say, this is new information. However, unless I'm getting confused, that relates to the 'original' MCB, and the new dryer not only tripped that one but also trips a replacement MCB.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Nope he says he replaced the dryer because it started to trip the MCB.
Yes, but I thought what he was telling us about the new (i.e. current) dryer was that it again tripped the original MCB, and continued to result in trips even when the MCB was replaced. Is that not the case?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, the current dryer tripped both MCBs. However, the old dryer also tripped the old MCB.

Almost confidently ruled out a dryer fault (but of course, not necessarily)

Yes, the current dryer tripped both MCBs. However, the old dryer also tripped the old MCB. Almost confidently ruled out a dryer fault (but of course, not necessarily)
Indeed - but the problem is that (given the absence of smells, smoke or flames) the OP seems to have more-or-less ruled out all even-remotely-likely possible causes that any of us can think of.

I guess that means that we have to start thinking about the "extremely unlikely" possibilities!

Kind Regards, John

Ok, sorry if I missed something out. So, a potted history:

Original MCB, previous dryer: fine for years
Original MCB, previous dryer: started tripping the MCB. Assumed dryer because it was getting on a bit.
Original MCB, new dryer: trips MCB. Never trips without dryer going.

And that's where I am today, with a perplexed look on my face.

So, either original dryer started to draw increased current, in line with what current dryer is drawing - which must be well in excess of its rating of 2.6kW... or something weirder is happening.

Ok, sorry if I missed something out. So, a potted history:

Original MCB, previous dryer: fine for years
Original MCB, previous dryer: started tripping the MCB. Assumed dryer because it was getting on a bit.
Original MCB, new dryer: trips MCB. Never trips without dryer going.

And that's where I am today, with a perplexed look on my face.

But in your very first post, you said that you had replaced the MCB! :

I replaced the MCB today, the old one was very hot when I took it out, but no melted insulation on the wiring. All the cores are done up tightly inside the CU. I've unplugged everything in the garage apart from the tumble dryer. The MCB still trips.

It's very difficult to offer useful advice when the story keeps changing. It's the sort of thing that makes me press the IGNORE button.

Ok, sorry if I missed something out. So, a potted history: ...
Thanks. That corresponds with what I had understood - except that you now don't mention replacing the MCB. Did you simply forget to mention that now? (or did you not actually replace the MCB?)
And that's where I am today, with a perplexed look on my face. So, either original dryer started to draw increased current, in line with what current dryer is drawing - which must be well in excess of its rating of 2.6kW... or something weirder is happening.
As I implied in what I just wrote, you are not alone in being fairly perplexed! I know that 'nothing is impossible', but the chances of two different dryers both somehow drawing considerably more than their rated current must be approaching the proverbial "vanishingly improbable" - which, as you say, leads us to be trying to think of "something weider".

Just to clarify - does the MCB now always trip (after 20 mins or whatever) when the dryer is switched on - or does it only happen sometimes?

Kind Regards, John

Could a fault in the cable to the socket outlets cause the mcb to trip? Can you physically inspect the entire cable run?

Is it possible that this MCB is, in fact, an RCBO. OR have I missed another bit?
Well, you may have missed the first post in the thread - which said that the MCB trips but the RCD doesn't trip. Whilst I suppose it's not impossible that someone has fed an RCBO from an RCD, it seems unlikely. The Op can presumably clarify.

Kind Regards, John

Could a fault in the cable to the socket outlets cause the mcb to trip?
Well, as I've said, I suppose we are now into "nothing's impossible" territory, but it seems extremely unlikely that a cable fault would only cause the MCB to trip when the dryer was not only switched on, but not until it had been on for an appreciable period of time.

Kind Regards, John

It's very difficult to offer useful advice when the story keeps changing. It's the sort of thing that makes me press the IGNORE button.

Sorry, you're right. So the additional line, which I missed out:
New MCB, new dryer: trips MCB.

The story isn't changing, I just made a mistake in my post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back