Garage MCB 16A or 32A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage has a 16A MCB. However when i put my dryer and washer machine on together the MCB trips. I have a spare 32A breaker in the DB so can i use this for my garage instead of the 16A? and will this solve the problem. In the garage is also a fridge and a freezer. To get the washing machine and dryer to work at the same time i have to run an extension cable from a socket in the kitchen.

Cheers for any advice

Sponsored Links
It depends one the size & length of the cable to the socket, if it is a 2.5mm radial (single cable) then no you cannot swop the mcbs

Yes it is 2.5 twin and earth single cable. The garage is on side of the house where the DB is so cable run not long, not sure how long though. Is there an easier way of getting round this then?

What you can do is turn that current radial into a ring and then you can utilize that spare 32A you have in your C.U.

BUT ...if i were you id call an electrician out to chat to him/her about what is needed to complete this work as RCD protection will need to be considered as well as trunking/conduit for the cable going around the garage.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back