16A MCB trips when tumble dryer is on

Could a fault in the cable to the socket outlets cause the mcb to trip?
Well, as I've said, I suppose we are now into "nothing's impossible" territory, but it seems extremely unlikely that a cable fault would only cause the MCB to trip when the dryer was not only switched on, but not until it had been on for an appreciable period of time.

Kind Regards, John

A period of time when a moderate amount of current can have an effect on a damaged cable via heat maybe?!?

Sponsored Links
Could a fault in the cable to the socket outlets cause the mcb to trip? Can you physically inspect the entire cable run?

I guess that's possible, but I've plugged the dryer into socket on both the radials from the MCB, and it trips on both. If there was a fault in the wiring, wouldn't it trip whether or not the dryer was running?

The cable is all surface mount and although I haven't inspected it at close range, it looks fine.

The one thing I haven't yet done due to time constraints is disconnect each radial in turn and run the dryer from one at a time. I'm hoping to get to that tomorrow.

A period of time when a moderate amount of current can have an effect on a damaged cable via heat maybe?!?
Conceivably ('nothing is impossible'), but I struggle to think what sort of cable fault could result in that happening - reversibly and repeatedly.

Kind Regards, John

ething weider".

Just to clarify - does the MCB now always trip (after 20 mins or whatever) when the dryer is switched on - or does it only happen sometimes?

Kind Regards, John

It always trips, sooner or later.

Is it possible that this MCB is, in fact, an RCBO. OR have I missed another bit?

Definitely MCB not RCBO!

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to temporarily wire the dryer directly into the MCB, removing all the other wiring - if you can do that safely.

I also wonder whether this (presumably) small enclosure with two MCBs is getting hot enough that this 16A MCB, which is going to get warm with 10A through it, is overheating. I'd consider temporarily running it with the front removed - if you can do that safely - and/or measure the temperature of the MCB as it runs.

Conceivably ('nothing is impossible'), but I struggle to think what sort of cable fault could result in that happening - reversibly and repeatedly.

Kind Regards, John

I'm struggling to think what else it could be! If line(live) insulation damaged, could slight arching between line and earth occur after a short amount of time?

I'd be tempted to temporarily wire the dryer directly into the MCB, removing all the other wiring - if you can do that safely.

I also wonder whether this (presumably) small enclosure with two MCBs is getting hot enough that this 16A MCB, which is going to get warm with 10A through it, is overheating. I'd consider temporarily running it with the front removed - if you can do that safely - and/or measure the temperature of the MCB as it runs.

Why do that (and cut the plug off) when the dryer works ok with extension cable into a different socket outlet?

Front has been off since yesterday, not making any difference. The CU is one of these with a 30mA RCD and 16A mains MCB and 6A lighting MCB.

I could wire an extension cable directly into the MCB and plug the dryer into that. Can't put the dryer directly into the MCB as it's a sealed plug which I don't want to cut off as I might still be contacting them for a replacement if it's drawing significantly more than it should. However an extension cable will have multi-strand conductors and I'm a little nervous about putting multi-strand into the flat clamps you get on MCBs. I could tin it up I suppose!

I'm struggling to think what else it could be! If line(live) insulation damaged, could slight arching between line and earth occur after a short amount of time?
I think that we're all struggling! What you suggest would almost certainly result in the RCD, not the MCB, tripping, at least sometimes - and we've been told that that has never happened. A fault such as you describe but resulting in an L-N short could conceivably do it - but the anatomy of T+E cable as such that it's virtually impossible to get an L-N short without also an L-E one (which would trip the RCD).

Kind Regards, John

Have a quick look (with mcb off) that where the grey sheath has been trimmed back that the live hasn't been nipped into.

Front has been off since yesterday, not making any difference. The CU is one of these with a 30mA RCD and 16A mains MCB and 6A lighting MCB.

I could wire an extension cable directly into the MCB and plug the dryer into that. Can't put the dryer directly into the MCB as it's a sealed plug which I don't want to cut off as I might still be contacting them for a replacement if it's drawing significantly more than it should. However an extension cable will have multi-strand conductors and I'm a little nervous about putting multi-strand into the flat clamps you get on MCBs. I could tin it up I suppose!

I don't think stranded conductors are an issue but what is the CSA of your extension cable? It may be written on the reel housing of there is one, or the cable itself.

My error - when I said "current" I meant "voltage" wrt potential difference across the terminals.
Which, thinking about it, still wouldn't tell me anything other than my mains voltage. I need a drink. ;-D
Even if unintentional, what you sugegsted was not as silly as you suggest. As I recently wrote, IF you measured the pd between L-in and L-out of the MCB (I also said with neutral, but that would not apply to a single-pole MCB!!), if current is flowing through the MCB, you will see a very small pd due to that current flowing through the (very small) internal impedance of the MCB. As I said, it would be a very small voltage - but it should be 'measurable', and any pd between those terminals would mean that current was flowing through it.

However, particularly given that it's Friday evening (and, co-incidentally, my birthday :) ), please do feel free to have that drink!!

Kind Regards, John

I would be tempted to do that with the mcb OFF, if any unknown load was connected it will show up as a voltage reading, thats why I prefer my neon test lamp, as the brightness of the thing indicates the state of the load wiring, usefull on older installs

Have a quick look (with mcb off) that where the grey sheath has been trimmed back that the live hasn't been nipped into.

But the wiring hasn't changed in 9 years, and the MCB has never tripped until this problem started a few weeks ago!

The only other thing I haven't tried is to replace the RCD. It may be that it's faulty and not tripping before the MCB does. But given that I've run the dryer from both radials I'd have to have an earth or short fault on each radial, both of which started occurring at the same time!

Also I haven't checked whether the MCB in the main house CU, which feeds the garage, gets hot in the same way the garage MCB does. I assume it would if it's a current overload as they're rated the same.

But the wiring hasn't changed in 9 years, and the MCB has never tripped until this problem started a few weeks ago!

I'm not the most experienced electrical guru but I will affirm that stranger things have happened!

How hot do people think a 16A MCB should get when passing 10A for tens of minutes?

Also I haven't checked whether the MCB in the main house CU, which feeds the garage, gets hot in the same way the garage MCB does. I assume it would if it's a current overload as they're rated the same.

Yes, check that; are they the same brand?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back