MDF bath panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

My bath panel is cracked and I want to experiment making a new one from MDF.

What waterproofing measures do I need to take?

I've got some spray on lacquer, but it's such a palaver to get the spray machine out. Can I thin this lacquer with some spirits and brush it on?

Many thanks

CF

Sponsored Links
mdf and water is never a good combination
you cannot get a good waterproof finish so best not used where any moisture lives

mdf and water is never a good combination
you cannot get a good waterproof finish so best not used where any moisture lives
Thanks for the reply buddy
I noticed my mother's bath panel is made of mdf with vinyl on it.
Im sure I can replicate it with a good quality lacquer.
I've got lots of spare sheets.

Cheers

257fd8bb-925e-45cc-b6ab-80c8958dc4bc.jpg
Standard tongue and groove panelling works fine with Wood paint

Sponsored Links
257fd8bb-925e-45cc-b6ab-80c8958dc4bc.jpg
Standard tongue and groove panelling works fine with Wood paint

Sweet bathroom.

Im hoping to repurpose the old mdf sheets I have.
I also want a slab finish. No grooves.

Do you think it will work?
Cheers

if you have kids don't do it
if the bathroom floor never gets wet then take the risk

Hey guys

My bath panel is cracked and I want to experiment making a new one from MDF.

What waterproofing measures do I need to take?

I've got some spray on lacquer, but it's such a palaver to get the spray machine out. Can I thin this lacquer with some spirits and brush it on?

Many thanks

CF

I have no idea which lacquer you have. In the past I have used some 2k lacquers that could be applied by brush if you purchased the correct retarding agent.

If you do go for MDF quadruple coat the end grain but do not forget to coat the rear face as well.

At a minimum, make sure that visible face is sealed with something other than waterbased paints only. Eg oil based primer and oil based UC, ideally finished with OB finish coat but if finished with waterbased paints on top of the oil based paints it should be ok.

Then make sure that your silicone or MS polymer sealant is watertight.

The houses that I work in where the MDF bath panel has swollen are those where the edges hadn't been sealed. On the other hand, MDF dishwasher doors (non moisture resistant MDF), 80% look awful after 5 years.

Last edited:
I've got an mdf panel I knocked up and painted with oil-based paints. No kids or dogs here so not a huge amount of splashing, but the panel is as sound as the day I fitted it 3 years ago. One downside with everything else being water-based in the room is that it's started to yellow a little. As said above, give the edges a lot of coats to keep the moisture out - they will soak up a lot of paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back