painting bath panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks i wanted to paint my tired looking mdf bath panel so i uase pva first then plasti kote stone touch spray paint then sealed it with pva again (looked great) then when hot water went on it ,it started to lift off can anyone help ?

Sponsored Links
Why did you use PVA ? PVA should never be used if the surface is to be painted over. Dont believe what they tell you on the tv programs!!! On an MDF bath panel, all it needs is an oil based primer then undercoat then topcoat, rubbed down between coats, and make sure the end grain is well painted or it will soak up water like a sponge !!

DO NOT USE PVA BEFORE PAINTING !!!!!!!

Hi Robbie thanks for your reply ,would i need to seal the spray paint after painting ? sorry dont know anything about painting as you can see with the pva

If all the wood was painted with PVA then the top coat might just peel off.
Its not so much the topcoat, but the PVA, it causes all sorts of problems after. You could try flatting it off and giving it a coat of undercoat and see then how stable the surface is.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a bummer but pva on mdf is a no-no.

Infact PVA is a mare on most things bar pre-plastering.

I am guessing that the hot water reactivated the pva.

I would suggest sanding it back- quite a chore. sorry.

I use water based primer on mdf ordinarily but not in bathrooms.

The mdf should also have been the moisture resistant type.

Subsequent coats of oil based primer/undercoat will help but as robbie said- pay extra attenion to endgrain.

Seriously - it might be easier to buy a pre finished new bath panel :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back