MDF Celing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finishing my basement for a cheap as possible. Would MDF be a choice for me? The only other thing I can think of is pinning up white sheets to cover the ugly boards and my uncle wants to nail the foam from the drop type celings up there so I'm desperately looking for something else.

Sponsored Links
I've been told that drywall is no good for basements because you can't get back into it once its up there. Maybe MDF is the same...

Thanks

MDF is not really that good, either. It is really heavy, it absorbs water like blotting paper (except for the MR or moisture resistant grade), it is a flamable material and therefore a fire risk (except for the FR or fire resistant grades), the joints will never look good, it will bow under its' own weight and absorbed moisture over time and it costs a heck of a lot more than sheetrock (plasterboard).

Plaster board on the other hand is lighter, cheaper (1/2 to 1/4 the price here in the UK), fire resistant, won't burn and is a doddle (relatively easy) to joint smoothly, easier to cut (straight edge and Stanley knife), easier to hang ("clout" nails and a hammer - no screwdriver needed) and to patch repair (if you ever do need to chop a bit out). Added to that if you need to gain access to the void under the floor the normal approach used in buildings almost everywhere is to lift the floorboards upstairs, not rip-out the ceiling below. If you are really concerned about damp then you should consider sealing the plasterboard and either "tanking" the cellar walls or at least improving the ventilation down there as you may well have another problem. For insulation plasterboard can be had which has a foil reflective backing.

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Hi. with regards to putting white sheets on the ceiling "DONT!!!" Big potential fire hazard, and the foam alike. I would recommend 6mm / 1/2 inch ply board. The ceiling joists are usually 400mm centres and the ply sheets should be fitted across the joists by using screws. Leave a small gap for expansion between the sheets. You can cover these gaps by simply using 50mm wide strips of ply, again screwed through to the joists. This method is probably the easiest and lightest and can be easily removed for any future maintenance.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back