MDF Coffee Table Holding Glasstop... w/ twist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

For a project, I am creating a see thru coffee table that will hold a 3/8" glasstop.

Now, I plan on making it out of MDF (so it can support the weight of the glass). I need to create an inner ledge though for the glass so the table top is flush with the surface.

In theory, I would want to put small pieces of MDF inside and nail the outside of the table to these pieces inside to support them (creating the lip).

BUT... it is imperative to the project that the outside be a glossy black with no visible nails (same with the inside).

What do I do?

Suggestions? I have zero carpentry experience.

Also, what should I do to paint the MDF my glossy black? I heard it needs special coatings and other things because it tends to suck up paint like a sponge.

Thanks so much for any help!
Josh

Sponsored Links
If you're going to rout a 3/8" rebate to hold the glass, I suggest you use 22 or 25 mm MDF - you may need the extra thickness for the weight of the glass.

As for painting it, just use ordinary primer (2 coats) and then a decent quality oil-based paint - which is how I paint MDF plinths for kitchen units.

Sponsored Links
Good call, HowlinWilf. The glass will be like 100lbs/45kilo. Plus whatever weight I put on the coffee table.

Any idea if it needs reinforcement on the inside? Will nails holding it together on the outside be enough?

Speaking of nails, any ideas on how I cover up the nails so you cannot see them after the table is put together (and under the paint and laquer)?

I wouldn't use nails at all.

I would drill for screws, countersinking the hole so the screws sit below the surface, and then fill and sand - and then paint. Much tougher and more permanent.

And, yeah, I would add reinforcement below the MDF to support the glass - just glue and screw more MDF or ply (6mm thick and 30mm wide should be enough) directly under the rebate for the glass and flush with the edge visible through the glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back