MDF floors with old carpet/glue residue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just discovered the forum, which is very timely as we've just bought a big old Edwardian house which needs alot of work!

First job was ripping out the carpets (ugh, I needed a face mask for that lovely job), and this included the stairs.

I've discovered that the stairs are constructed of MDF, and the carpet was previously glued to it :rolleyes: There's lots of residue (both glue and carpet strands), and I was unsure of how to clean them?

The plan is to (maybe) go for a runner with the exposed edges painted, but how to get the edges nice and clean for painting? Any ideas and advice would be appreciated :)

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
Sanding it could just result in a lot of clogged abrasive paper and little progress.

Scraping it could take off more material than you want, and be quite hard work. However, an electric scraper could help.

However, you could try both these methods on a sample area.

A third approach would be to find a solvent that will dissolve the adhesive, and scrape off the resulting goo. Also, try the effect of a heat gun to check if this will soften the glue.

Thanks, any idea what type of solvent I could use? Can't seem to find anything out there :cry:

Why oh why did they make the stairs out of MDF :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back