MDF? Foamboard? Plywood? Please help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I currently produce pictures by publishing photographs on to canvas and mounting it on to MDF. Previously I have stretched it over a wooden frame, but I decided using a sheet material was the better option; easier to get the size and shape right.

Recently I was told about a sheet material that was considerably lighter than MDF whilst still being sturdy enough for this task. It was not foamboard or plywood (I put those in the title to emphasise this was about sheet material) - anyone any ideas what this material is called, or anything that fits the description?

The material I require needs to be at least 10mm thick, preferably nearer to 15mm.

Any suggestions or advice very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

Sponsored Links
chrisbottomley said:
Recently I was told about a sheet material that was considerably lighter than MDF
I know Chipboard & blockboard are lighter than MDF and also Ultra Lite MDF is 30% lighter that the standard MDF. Another one I can think of is Acrylic sheets which are lighter but will scratch fairly easily.

Sponsored Links
I think you may be thinking of Foamex, this is much harder and stronger than foamboard and quite a bit lighter than mdf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back