mdpe fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. A friend is renovating his kitchen and the blue pipe entering the property straight into the kitchen gets in the way. The blue pipe at the mo is right under the sink and 200mm off the floor, then a compression stop cock is connected right onto the blue pipe and then the distribution pipe branches off.The new kitchen will have a drawer with recycle baskets just under the kitchen sink and therefore the blue pipe gets in the way and will have to be cut down below 150mm off the floor, put an elbow pointing towards the external wall to allow the drawer to open and close and then branch the copper pipe off to the kitchen sink tap, w/m, d/w. My questions are:1) do they sell transition elbows so that i can connect up to the blue pipe at one end and to copper pipe at the other end? 2) At the mo, a brass compression stop cock is connected up to the blue pipe. Is therefore the blue pipe 20mm in diameter? 3) if the stop cock at the moment is connected up straight up to the blue pipe and there has never been a leak, could i connect a 22mm brass compression elbow straight to the blue pipe? Thank you very much for your time.

Sponsored Links
The stop tap will be designed for the MDPE, you can't just stick a compression fitting on there. Speedfit do push fit fittings for MDPE, just get a MDPE to copper coupling from them.

Philmac part 1521; 20mm MDPE to 15mm copper elbow.
Compression MDPE, push-fit copper.

metimp-x-copper-elbow.jpg

Thanks for your replies guys. Charnwood, that,s exactly what i was looking for. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Charnwood, btw is it possible to dismantle that fitting on the mdpe side before inserting the mdpe pipe in? The reason i am asking that is because, as the blue pipe is sticking out of the floor and i'll have to cut it quite short, i won't have enough pipe length to hold the the mdpe pipe tight with one hand while pushing the Philmac fitting over it with the other and i am scared to kink the pipe by doing so. If i could dismantle it on the mdpe side, slide the fitting over the blue pipe and then tighten the nut properly i could avoid problems. Thanks for your advice.

The nut and grip-ring can be removed.
Make sure you leave enough pipe so that it will go up to the stop in the fitting before tightening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back