MDPE insulating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm just replacing the old lead pipe coming into my house for a 32mm MDPE pipe. Obviously it will be buried on the outside, but where it enters the house (in the cellar). I'm going to have to "lag" insulate it. I couldn't see anything specific for doing this size pipe.

The current pipe enters in a completely different place and we don't have a problem with freezing, however the new place, and insulated floors etc, the cellar will be a cold place till it gets into the utility.

The pipe will run through the cellar for around 15 meters before going into the house. I bought some wrap around insulation, but i'm worried it won't be enough if we have -10 degree winters again.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I wish I saw that site before I messed around with the wrap around stuff. Is there anybody local likely to sell it? If not i'll buy some online.

I'm using 32mm because its a fairly long run, and I'll be running a direct/unvented cylinder for hot water so want the best possible pressure.

I know what your saying about the retaining heat. If I have issues I think i'll have no choice but to put a heater down in the cellar or some kind of pipe heater. The worry is in the extended part of the house I won't be able to acess the pipe.

You'll be hard-pushed to find 32mm lagging on the shelf, not a big seller. It will almost certainly have to be ordered in, possibly by the boxful.

No idea where you are in Yorkshire, but Sheffield Insulation has branches in Sheffield and Leeds. Worth a try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back