Mdpe water mains compression fitting tightness..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone currently replacing the lead mains pipe from the meter to my house, I am wondering about how tight I need to have the compression fittings (plasson). The connection at the meter it pretty awkward to get to but it feels damn tight (by hand) yet it still has some thread to go.

I am certain I pushed the pipe home both sides past the o-ring

ubELrL2.jpg

On the other end I've fitted a temp stop tap and noticed that one of the side has tightened right up and the other side is similar to the connection at the meter seen above.

Bn06oqJ.jpg

Having tested for leaks it appears sound at both connections, im just after some feedback to see if anyone has any thoughts.

Any replys are much appreciated.

Edit* literally just after posting i've just realised I dont remember putting an insert into the foot of pipe leading from the temp stop tap, this could very well be why its tightened right down onto the thread. Will check today.

Sponsored Links
Hand tight.

The plastic ring grips the pipe and the white nut stops the water pressure pushing it out.

Hand tight.

The plastic ring grips the pipe and the white nut stops the water pressure pushing it out.

Thanks Ian much appreciated, I was right about not having an insert hense why it tightened right down.

Just done a leak check though and its leaking very slowly out of the connection next to the meter ughhhh, luckily i've only put a bit of sand over the pipe so far..

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling that you're not supposed to touch the meter.

I say go for it though, paying them to connect it for you is a rip off.

I have a feeling that you're not supposed to touch the meter.

I say go for it though, paying them to connect it for you is a rip off.

Ah yeah your certainly correct, I'm just connecting to a foot of pipe they have left sticking out from the meter, which I'm guessing is for the very reason you mention :).

Already had to fork out 370 for a gas connection to be laid, if it were legal I would have tried that myself aswell haha.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back