Me Chimley Pot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a question about chimney pots.

I have a living flame gas fire in my front lounge (its about as much use as a set of wheels on a can of beans, but that's another story). Whilst up on the roof securing a TV aerial to the stack I noted that the chimney pot serving this fire is open at the top, thus allowing rain into the flue. There's a lip around the top of the pot which looks to me as if it was designed to take an additional fitting, so would I be right in thinking that there's some kind of vented cap I can add to the pot to protect the flue from the weather whilst still allowing the gases to escape?

I've repaired the flaunching on the stack so would be very reluctant to change the pot itself.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

I want to carry on using the fire, so which, if any, cap would be permissible in that situation?

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I quite fancy a crowned insert, simply for reasons of nostalgia; we had the crowned pots on our first house, thirty years ago.

So do those inserts just drop into the existing pot? Are they held on by gravity/ friction, or do they have to be fixed?

The gas fire currently seems to give off relatively little heat in proportion to the amount of gas it uses. Would the addition of a cap/ insert to an open pot be likely to improve the efficiency of the fire?

Yes they slide into the existing pot their own weight holds them in place.

Living flame fires lose a lot of heat up the vent. cant see the terminal improving on that.

On reflection, if I'm unlikely to make the fire more efficient by the addition of an insert, I probably won't spend the money and instead leave things as they are.

Cheers all for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back