Means of escape windows on a second floor ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a little confused about installing windows in two bedrooms on the second floor.

The first window would replace an existing window, the second one would be a 'Velux' type window which will be fitted into a room that doesn't currently have a window (originally there was glass above the door which let light in from the landing)

But, have been told I can't install 'means of escape' windows in these rooms because they are too high off the ground, so what should I do ? There is no protected escape route and it's impossible to make one because the stairs exit into a lounge then kitchen before the exit to outside.

Any ideas ?

Was going to post on the 'Building regulations' forum but I thought I'd try here first :D

Sponsored Links
If the above is unsuitable there are other models which require an anchor bolt fitted below window and the ladder is then clipped to this before use.No risk of movement while in use.

Sponsored Links
If you are replacing windows to existing rooms, then you only need to ensure that the windows make means of escape no worse than the current windows

For that room with no windows, then again if fitting a new velux then means of escape wont come into it. But if you have just made this room, then you will need to provide a means of escape (or other precautions) if the room is a habitable or frequently used room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back