on the first floor, and the bedroom windows that open are not large
enough to comply with the size on item 2.8, but the window in the
ensuite complies, is the ensuite window valid as an escape route for
the bedroom? Does the bedroom then become an inner room? There is a
door to the ensuite.

The bedroom is separated by one door only from an interlinked smoke
alarm.

Sponsored Links
Are you describing something thats already built or is it a new extension. If it's all existing then what are you concerned about?

It's a new house that was started in April 2006 so it is subject to the regulations prior to the latest change that applies since April this year I think

Assuming your complying with this document; http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADB1_2006.pdf
and assuming its on the first floor no more than 4.5m above ground level my interpretation would be that in order to comply you either need an escape window from the bedroom or direct access to a protected stair. In any case a quick call to your inspector will answer this one in a jiffy.

Sponsored Links
In case someone else looks at this thread for the answer, I spoke to Building Control and they told me that they regard a bedroom with ensuite as one room, especially if the ensuite is only accessible by the people in the bedroom, so the window in the ensuite is valid as a fire escape. They are not particularly concerned about a door between the room and the ensuite or whether it has a lock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back