Replacement/ fire regs / no one knows!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so I am going to replace an existing 1st floor bedroom timber window that has three fanlights (top hung) over three fixed panes.

The fanlights are as the pic in the reply below and the transom is well above 1100mm from the floor. This is the only window in the bedroom.

There are no additional stairways or independent fire escapes.

The existing window does not meet the current fire regs...

but if I replace like for like as the customer wants inc the same transom height I WILL be making the situation worse! as the thickness of the PVC will encroach on the overall opening when open? thus making it smaller.

So sticking to the original design and transom / mullion sizes and fitting a pvc top hung (as the timber window) am I committing an offence? and am I NOT complying?

Please .. any feedback to this one as it has me (Fensa sit on the wall) stuck!

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement for new windows to meet current MOE regulations. The only requirement under the b/regs is that the windows do not make the situation any worse.

However, there would be a duty of care to advise (and recommend) the client on improving the design to meet current safety standards

So to cover yourself, you should word your contract carefully to this effect.

You don't want any comeback in a few years time if there was a fire, and the client says "Well he never told me or I would have had different windows fitted"

woody you say...The only requirement under the b/regs is that the windows do not make the situation any worse.

Thats the problem.. the design has to stay as the existing and as the new ones are PVC then by design they will make it worse? Many other companies have copied the existing designs on the estate and have "probably" notgiven it too much thought but I need to be sure.

Thanks for the reply.

Why have they got to be the same, because the customer says so???

Maybe then the customer can't have what the customer wants!

Tell them, if they want PVC windows in that design then you ARE making the situation WORSE and you cannot do that

Sponsored Links
Those frames are not MOE compliant, so altering the actual opening sizes slightly is not making the situation any worse

Its simple, you can't lawfully make the situation worse. If the customer does not heed your advice you walk away or face the potential consequences.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back