Openable windows in a bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of refurbishing a bungalow including new windows. The current windows only have small top fanlights which open and the main panes are fixed. Since all rooms lead to a hallway then there is no fire safety issue in terms of regs. It is also good for security with no large windows to lever open. Whilst the regs are covered, I do wonder what would happen in the unlikely event of a fire IN the hallway!

Before I order new windows, as a general straw poll would you be be put off if there were no large pane opening windows in a bungalow, or would you prefer it for security? I'm going to live in it but just thinking of future saleability. Opinions welcome!

Sponsored Links
we have opening windows , in all the bedrooms 3 , the ones that not only open but also dropdown from the top
bathroom, Kitchen, Dining room, lounge

I would not want to be unable to open a window......
and we do use them all

I live in a bungalow with only fanlights in 2 bedrooms and the bathroom. We have lived here for just over 3 years and whilst we appreciated the additional security, the option of opening a window wider in the summer was missed.

The fanlight windows are being changed in the spring with normal opening windows. All the openers will be fitted with locking window handles.

Thanks both for your answers.

Yes, I think I agree that the convenience of being able to have a proper opening window outweighs any security benefits. Old Salt thank you for reminding me about the very hot summer. It's easy to forget in January!

Sponsored Links
Definitely have opening windows for a safety feature. Even if, (heaven forbid), you have a fire in one of the other rooms, you may not be able to access the hall due to smoke.
Openable windows can always be locked for security.

We've refurbed a bungalow and have 3 pane windows with the left and right fully opening and the central one fixed. Sometimes you just want to stick your head out!
Definitely wouldn't opt for just fan lights but if you do you can always keep a little glass breaking hammer for emergency I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back