Help please. New uPVC window frame is not straight

Sponsored Links
Hi guys

Thank you all for your support, it's reassuring to know that there are good tradesmen out there. I always have bad luck with problems and it is not as if I go for cheap companies with cheap products.

Had to move on from the window prob at the moment as I found condensation in the loft last night :eek: . Still having ongoing problems with CH system and having to take previous owner to court over breach of missives. Not having a good time at all.

Wish I had never moved house.

Thanks again everyone and have a lovely christmas.

Fluff
PS still not heard back from profile 22.

Had to move on from the window prob at the moment as I found condensation in the loft last night :eek:
Warm air moisture is getting into your loft therefore needs ventilation to take it out external, needs flow of air, roof tile vents or ridge tile vents or the easiest is soffit vents or air brick vents on external walls if you have it, the more ventilation less condensation, I have ridge tile vents at the top with soffit vents so the air flow from bottom to top. My next door neighbour put in a electric velux skylight window with the vent for condensation and to let in the light in the loft and also open the window on a very hot day!

Hi masona

I have vents the full length of the soffits. I think it may be the insulation which is possibly blocking them.

If I need vents would I just need to get ridge tile vents or would be also be preferrable to put vents further down as well nearer the soffits?

I notice the same house across the road has 3 soffit tile vents and 2 ridge tile vents of either side of the roof.

Thanks

Fluff

Sponsored Links
I have vents the full length of the soffits. I think it may be the insulation which is possibly blocking them.
Okay make sure you can see the soffit vents is cleared
If I need vents would I just need to get ridge tile vents or would be also be preferrable to put vents further down as well nearer the soffits?
The ridge tile vent at the top will need cutting out the old mortar joints and replace with the vent type or the easiest would be the tiles vents at the highest level if possible by swapping the tile over with vent type but the roofing felt will have to be cut out carefully and correctly underneath so the air can get out, having said all this you may get away with just by moving the insulation back a bit for better air flow and see how its goes

Do you have vaulted ceilings, fluff? Normally, just ventilated soffits suit most lofts fine so tuck all of the insulation back. Its worth looking around for any sources of condensation though - bathroom extractor fans etc. Where was the condensation?
John :)

Hi burnerman & crank,

Hope you had a good christmas & new year.

Quick update on windows.

Spoke to the technical guy at profile 22. He confirmed that it is ok for the rubbers not to fully fit the window at the top. The important part is that the section in the middle (think he called it E section) is touching the glass, which it is. Therefore nothing to worry about with regards to the gaps.

With regards to the scratches, marks and gouges on the windows. My hubby told the owner not to bother coming back to look at the windows. I have now put up blinds so you can't see the marks and need to draw a line under this for my own sanity.

Hubby did make the point of telling him that we now know who not to recommend.

Thanks again for all your valued help and advice.

Fluff

Glad you've been able to get at least a reassuiring answer from profile22, as for the scratches, well its not the ideal solution but if its ok for you then its ok for me.

Hope your window woes didnt spoil you christmas too much and glad its all sorted.

Tom,

Hi crank

Lucky we spoke to the owner before xmas and therefore had a good one as the problems were put to the side and forgotten about.

John,

Sorry, but when I responded yesterday I hadn't seen your answer to my condensation problem, I have started a new thread since then.

I have coombed (hopefully the correct spelling) ceilings of about 1 ft which slope off. The Upvc eaves has vents the complete length.

We moved all the insulation back which was blocking the eaves before xmas.

I went up a couple of days ago and there is still small droplets of water but very small amounts compared to what they were. However, there is now lots of furry mould on the foil backed plasterboard which lines the roof.

There is no draughts coming in the loft but there is no wind at the moment and the roof is solid with snow - which I don't think will be helping.

I don't particulary want to put roof vents in if I don't have to but it may give me piece of mind.

Think we will get vent tiles as far up the top of the roof as possible but would I also need vents further down to allow more air to come in if the current eaves vents aren't too good?

thanks again

fluff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back