Escape window opening limiting device?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a window (wooden framed casement) that is of the correct opening dimensions for an escape window but the regulations state that it should be between 800and 1100mm from ground level. Unfortunately it is only 720mm from the ground level so what has been suggested is that I have a window opening limiting device that can easily be removed in the event of a fire. I have goggled such a devise without luck.

I was wondering if the simple window stay at the bottom of the window would suffice, after all it does limit the window opening and it is easily removable in the event of a fire? If not does anyone else know of such a devise and where I might get one?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This could have stayed in the BR section to be honest, but nevermind :)

the regulations state that it should be between 800and 1100mm from ground level.

Where does it say that? Firstly, it's from floor level, not ground level ;) And AD B says...

The bottom of the openable area should not be more than 1100mm above the floor;

Is your 720mm dimension measured from floor level to the cill, frame or actual opening?

I thought that there might be more window specific types looking in here but hey thanks for following me.

Ah yes floor/ground it's been a long day already.

The reg I was referring to can be seen here. Scroll down to the bottom to Means of escape.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...orkcommondoorwindow/workmorebregsdoorswindows

It mentions a cill height of 800mm rather than an opening height, I might just manage 730mm if I remove the carpet :confused:

Ah I see. To me, that can be quite misleading as it states...

• Cill height - No less than 800mm and no more than 1100mm from floor level

And the guidance in AD B does not specify a minimum height and mentions the "openable area" and not the cill.

So what is the dimension from the floor to the openable window (i.e. above bottom frame)?

Sponsored Links
I don't like saying it but again, it may be best to speak to your local BCO to see how relaxed they would be in not providing the additional 55mm. Maybe raise the floor/carpet to that end of the room so the dimension does comply :evil:

I don't like saying it but again, it may be best to speak to your local BCO to see how relaxed they would be in not providing the additional 55mm. Maybe raise the floor/carpet to that end of the room so the dimension does comply :evil:

mmm will do, I'd need to raise the window or lower the floor, my cill is too low ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back