Restraining an escape window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an escape window in the bathroom - one which can hinge into the room like a door, and also hinge at the bottom, such that the window will tilt inwards for ventilation. Unfortunately the ventilation has only one setting - the window opens inwards about 6 inches. In this weather this is too much, but i still need to loose condensation! What can I use to restrain the window at a more appropriate setting, but still maintain easy egress in the event of fire?

I've tried screwfix for window hardware, but its all for windows that open outwards (the normal way). Perhaps theres something really obvious that I'm missing!

An issue I can see coming is the clearance around the opener - theres only a small bit of frame showing and I dont think I'd be able to fix anything to it. I can, however, fix to the window reveals (but bear in mind the tight clearances here - the window still needs to open fully in an emergency).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I found a cheaper one on another site (once I knew the name of the product!) and ordered that. Cheers.

What method should I use to fasten the product to the window and frame? I'm guessing a few small woodscrews should do it, with a small pilot hole.

There is enough frame showing for a good fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back