Windows opening inwards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any disadvantages (or advantages) in having the windows opening inwards in a house?

They would have a hinge on one side to open them fully and a hinge at the bottom to open them partially for ventilation. All the matters about the regulations will be sorted out.

I have the opportunity to buy the windows, for a good price, from a relative in a European country where they make the windows to open inwards.

Sponsored Links
i have some tilt and turn windows in my house.

great for cleaning, full pivot at the hinge giving total openable area, tilting mechanism is good for partial ventilation, internally beaded for security.

can bang your head on them when working below, curtains interfere when fully opening inwards.

It depends what a 'good price' is

If I could get ones that open outwards for a good price, then I would do that and avoid having them drip on the carpet when wet, have dust and such like blown into the room when left open, and banging you head on them more times than you will remember.

This type of window is really intended for high-rise flats, where ease of cleaning is the main criteria.

I would aviod them if there are other options available

I had them in a flat; the bedroom one was very inconvenient - when opened in hot weather (it was a big window) it seemed to take up half the room and swung over the bed.

If you just tilt the top in they are no prob.

Sponsored Links
Funny how British casements almost always open outwards and French casements almost always open inwards. What do they do with their ornaments? :)

I have another thought: this house is in a rural area where you can get a real invasion of midges in the summer. It seems to me that windows that open inwards allow you to open the window while leaving an insect net in place. This looks more difficult in a window that open outwards

I've got inward opening 'tilt & turn' windows in my entire house (put in by previous owner) and they are a bit of a nightmare. They get caught on curtains, you have to clear off the windoww sill every time you want to open them, if you have vertical slatted blinds on the window, like I have, the window can't be opened as the runner that the holds and turns the slats is in the way. Also, mine tend to be a bit 'all or nothing' as although you have the tilt mechanism for a little bit of ventilation, if you are actually opening the window properly there is no 'arm' at the bottom to hold the window open at 1/3, 1/2 or 2/3 open so you have to have the windo completely opened up. My advice is to avoid unless your wallet is so strapped and the price is so utterly fantastic that you simply can't afford not to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back