measure Zs or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When testing a TT installation, if Ze is well below 200 ohms and r1 +r2 less than 1ohm for each circuit, is there really any need to measure Zs for each circuit? I can understand the need to measure Zs in a TNCS installation for example because there are tabulated values which it must be within to ensure disconnection times but for a TT installation protected by an RCD i dont see the point. I ask because i brought this up at work and i was told by my supervisor that it must be measured but I wasn't given a reasonable explanation for doing so.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're filling in an install cert, you must do it anyway because the cert asks for that info? Why cut corners? - it shows you've done the job properly.

Thanks for the reply. I do it because the install cert requires it but i still dont see the point of measuring Zs in the circumstances i mentioned.I'm sure if it came to court i could argue successfully that it is not necessary. :eek:

I agree - Zs readings of 200+ ohms are a bit meaningless! However, I would note on the cert the reasons why you did not record them. Of course you already have filled in the R1 + R2 values

Sponsored Links
I'd be worried with a Zs of more than 200 Ohms.

I mean, the max according to OSG is 200 Ohms for Ze. When installing rods, I don't get much higher than 45 Ohms.

I know in theory you have a max of 1666Ohms, beyond which correct RCD operation is not guaranteed, but I like to stick to max Zs of 200.

NIC say 100 for Ze, IIRC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back