Measuring for New Sealed Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have a cracked (timber framed) double glazed window which I would like to have a go at replacing myself. I have located a firm who are able to supply a new sealed unit at a decent price and I am confident (with the help of a few previous posts on this board and some other sites) of fitting the new unit OK; however I am unsure as to how to exactly go about measuring for the new unit? Can anyone provide any pointers?
I would like to leave the unit in place, but I guess to measure accurately it would need to come out? If it needs to come out then I suppose I've answered my own question!

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Sponsored Links
Measure to the outside of the beads, against the frame, and take off 10mm so the glass will have a 5mm gap all round to fit the packers.
The overall thickness of the unit is crucial. With one of the beads removed slide a ruler in to check the size. There are standard sizes eg 24 and 28mm.

sealed_unit_measurement.jpg

Many thanks denso, a big help :LOL:

I don't suppose anyone has any tips on the removal and subsequent replacement of the wooden beading?

Using a panel pin punch to punch the nails through the beading or using a chisel in the middle carefully prising it apart

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back