measuring french windows/doors

D

diane1

:D hi there, could somebody tell me how to measure french windows, is it around the brick work or the inside measurement?
i knbow this sounds a bit stoooopid but i know it is a 4 foot widefrench window that i already have but on b and q and wicks websites, all the measurements are completley different!!

please help....ta

diane

Sponsored Links
Measurements are done from the outside...brick to brick.

Is it Timber or UPVC french doors your buying

hi, its upvc, the one thats in is wood but its split and u can see day light, its been screwed shut for safety for over a year and they have some special offers on in b and q

hows that 4 womens logic!!!!

why are there so many different sizes for height????

diane

your opening is 4 foot which is 1220mm metric size.
Most 4 foot UPVC doors come in 1200mm width allowing you 10mm play either side of the brickwork.

If i remember right BnQ's 4 foot doors were 1200mm wide and you have to allow 2100 in height including bottom sill (BnQ doors dont come with bottom sill by the way).

As a side note some BnQ stores are doing specials on 4 foot UPVC french doors at the moment for £134.

Sponsored Links
Don’t forget all replacement windows/doors must be notified to BC (fee involved) if you don’t use a FENSA registered installer! If you don’t get a certificate of conformance from one or the other you may have problems when you come to sell; it’s a pain but that’s how it is!

diane1 said:
sorry to sound thick, but who is BC????

diane
You local council Building Control; they are responsible for supervision, inspection & certification of all notifyable building work & replacement windows fall into this category.

mmmm. thats something else to think about!
thanks for advice, how long has that been around or has it always been a rule?

diane

diane1 said:
mmmm. thats something else to think about!
thanks for advice, how long has that been around or has it always been a rule?

diane
Not entirely sure, since around 2002 I think. IMO, I think it makes sense to use a FENSA registered company if your only doing one or two windows as it saves all the hassle & the fitting charge should only be around £50-60 a window (a little more for French doors) & BC will probably charge more than that to inspect & certify. I was going to fit my whole house out myself but in the end decided that for the comparatively small cost (to the cost of the windows) of having it done professionally it didn't make much sense + you get a 10 year warranty! I have fitted the odd window here myself, it's not difficult but it will take you much longer if you don't do it every day + there is always the risk you will mess it up.

It rather depends on your budget & what your looking for but I would suggest you look at some other products as the B&Q stuff is, er how shall I put it, very budget! Avoid the big nationals, they mostly overcharge but small local companies are very competitive & often use the same products.

ooooooooooooo to late, have just been out and bought b and q one only £113 i guess you get what u pay for but i will just be glad to be able to open the door as its been screwed shut for ages for safety as its gone past its "best before date" haha.

anyway...................thanks for all your help guys!

lets hope the rain stops by weekend

diane

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back