UVPC French Doors - Not really a technical question.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A bit of a rambling rant and not really a tech question - Just looking for some advice and opinions.

I am just finishing a "self-managed" extension and refurb of my house.

A few weeks ago the surveyor from the window company I had chosen came out to measure for the windows. He measured up for two sets of french doors and other windows. One of the french doors is in an extension straight of the back of the dining room that still has the original patio door in. When the surveyor measured the opening I pointed out that I didn't want a step down in the finished extension - we then discussed flooring height etc.

The surveyor came back a couple of weeks later to measure a couple more windows and a back door opening that hadn't been ready the first time. Again I pointed out the level of screed etc that needed to be put in to keep the floor level.

The windows were fitted last week and I had to stop the two sets of french doors from being fitted. They looked far too high to allow flooring to be fitted. After frantic calls from the fitters to their boss, the out come was basically take it or leave it - these were the windows that were measured and it was my fault for not having the builders openings correct. Again after much brow beating the fitters said they could raise the windows enough to allow clearance for the flooring, so I let them go ahead. They took off a 10mm top strip off the windows and cut of the "fins" off the top of the windows. This will allow the screed to hit 15mm below the bevel edge of the window frame- giving me just 15mm to fit flooring before going into the bevel edge. The back door was fitted ok - they put down a half course of bricks to raise the door up (it opens the wrong way and the handles are wrong, but hey at least it fits).

To be honest I am still not very happy with the height of the french doors - I don't think the flooring will fit below the bevel edge of the window frame, and even if it does I think it will look wrong.

So in short, the company are claiming they only ever measure the builders openings and it is my fault if they are incorrect. My argument is that I pointed out the floor levels and if they had told me at the time I would have corrected the size of the openings (I had brickies onsite still).

So what should I do? I have only paid a 20% deposit for the whole job so I still have some leverage, but do I have an argument?

Thanks. I hope it makes sense!

Lee

Sponsored Links
So was the surveyor wrong or did you not build the openings as you'd said you would?

Did you approve the suppliers drawings prior to manufacture? If not you should have, a good project manager would have. The industry is full of numpties as you have found out to your dismay. The supplier has also cocked up by not asking you to approve the drawing, thereby covering themselves too. In building, never assume anything, anything at all!

If they have supplied something that you consider is incorrect then hold your ground.

It is not uncommon (or ideal) for windows to be manufactured prior to the openings having been formed on site as the tolerances need to be greater however to ensure success the process should involve more checking and double checking by all parties.

thanks FMT

no there was no drawings to see.

The problem is that the brickies left the openings and the window surveyor measured them directly - even though I pointed out the internal floor level, that could be seen only 10ft away, and stated that i didn't want an internal step.

I suppose I expected some advice at the time.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back