Measuring PFC on 3 phase supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, have been talked into sitting the AM2 exam next week and have a query with PFC.
Do you just test each phase to earth, then each phase to neutral?
I seem to remember having to double a figure, but I can't remember to be honest.

Cheers for you help

Sponsored Links
You are basically after the absolute maximum fault which is going to flow if there was a fault in the fuse board.

Firstly measure each phase to earth - record those values
Measure and record each phase to neutral.
If - and ONLY IF your tester is sufficiently rated to do so - measure each phase to phase fault current.
Record the highest figure from all of the above.
If your tester is not rated to do phase to phase measurements then you may take the maximum figure obtained from the P-N or P-E test, double it and record that.

Be careful though.

You can get some pretty high readings

Iphone189.jpg

:eek:

Sponsored Links
... Assuming of couse that he is measuring phase-> neutral... IIRC the metrel is capable of doing a 415v loop reading (but I never use that, just double the highest SP value... its the way I was taught... saves you blowing up someone elses test equipment!)

A value that low is going have quite a bit of error/uncertaintly... perhaps if rob presses the test probes on better he might see a higher fault level :D , chances are he will if he pulls some overtime and tests when network loading is low :LOL: ,if you are thinking about what the tester is doing... its applying a load of 23A, recording the volt drop and applying ohms law to give an impedance, you start to see that it becomes very difficult to measure low impedance fault paths accuratly (same again with high values of insulation resistance... but luckily, the differece between 800meg and 1000meg is largely irrelevant!)

Not that a fault of that magnatude will over occur IRL, in real life faults don't involve a silver dagger 10mm along the submain from where it leaves the panelboard ;) ,plus the inductance of the supply transformer means that currents of that manatude don't just instantly start flowing... there it'll take a a small fraction of a second to happen, and the fuse will have opened by then :LOL: (and even before it does, the reistance will have increased)

It was a new TP feed we had put in recently.

The reading is between 2 phases U = 420V

It was near the sub, and our cutout was at max three meters from the ring main cable, which looked fairly new to me.

The job was well out in the sticks so loading would have been light.

The cutout feeds straight into a BS88 TP switchfuse.

The DB is maybe 30m or so away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back