Measuring up for windows and doors - query on addon pieces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I am saving costs by measuring up for some windows and doors myself - my Fensa reg. builder will be installing them.

He's asked me to order some vertical add on pieces for the doors so that the frame is brought in so that the hinges will clear the plaster, (at the moment it's unplastered blockwork). I just don't get it - aren't frames designed with enough clearance for the plaster? The add on pieces spoil the look in my opinion and sometimes require other bits glued on outside to finish off.

Many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I take it you're fitting a UPVC door then?

What he wants you to do by the sound of it is to ask your door supplier to include for some clip-on UPVC frame add-ons which will basically make the outerframe wider and move the inside door flag hinges in from where he wants to plaster. If you ask for 25mm add-on's it should be enough for what he needs and it shouldn't look too bad at all when fitted. The add-on just clips onto the original frame and the join should be pretty much unnoticeable.

You could scrap the UPVC Door idea altogether and get a quality hardwood door and frame. It will be a lot stronger security wise and cheaper to buy.

what I dont get is if your builder mate is fensa registed why leave it to you to measure?. mistakes are costly and if he is fensa registed he will need to be able to issue a cert through fensa to comply .if you sell your house you will need this. if hes not fensa registed you can always go through building regs. beware of mates doing favours, you will end up footing any additional costs if they are not fitted to standard.

Sponsored Links
what I dont get is if your builder mate is fensa registed why leave it to you to measure?. mistakes are costly and if he is fensa registed he will need to be able to issue a cert through fensa to comply .if you sell your house you will need this. if hes not fensa registed you can always go through building regs. beware of mates doing favours, you will end up footing any additional costs if they are not fitted to standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back