'Medium' thickness 115mm diamond disc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

'Standard' 115 mm diamond discs (for angle grinder) appear to have thicknesses ranging from about 1.2 mm to 2.2 mm. Others, with thicknesses using in the range 6 mm - 10 mm are sold as 'mortar raking' discs.

Is anyone aware of (not too expensive!) ones with thicknesses in the 3 mm - 4 mm range?

Thanks.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Try this one
  • Diameter: 4.5" / 115mm; Bore: 22.23mm (7/8"); Workable thickness: 4.5mm; Grit : 40/50
Checked the link...

Try this one
  • Diameter: 4.5" / 115mm; Bore: 22.23mm (7/8"); Workable thickness: 4.5mm; Grit : 40/50
Checked the link...
Thats a grinding disc, only seem available in diamond upto 2.3mm and then start again with mortar discs at 5mm, abrasive ones for stone are available in 3mm, have you looked into is it possible, and safe glueing 2 together? did come across this, albeit mortar raking blade.

... only seem available in diamond upto 2.3mm and then start again with mortar discs at 5mm, ...
As I've said, that's essentially what I have discovered.
... have you looked into is it possible, and safe glueing 2 together? did come across this, albeit mortar raking blade.
I'm done that in the past to improvise a mortar raking blade, but it's obviously not a very nice approach!

I may well be stuck with 2.2/2.3mm ones - which will [probably be just about think enough for what I want.

Kind Regards, John

For mortar raking ashlar joints the masons I've worked with (I live in a stone district) just make 2 cuts and rake the waste out...

As to being safe to double up blades, what does the grinder manufacturer say? I bet there isn't a single one out there who recommends this in their manuals

For mortar raking ashlar joints the masons I've worked with (I live in a stone district) just make 2 cuts and rake the waste out...
Sure, if one wants something pretty wide, that's how it's often done. At least some 'chasing machines' I've seen have two blades, spaced apart, which achieves the same in a single pass.
As to being safe to double up blades, what does the grinder manufacturer say? I bet there isn't a single one out there who recommends this in their manuals
Of course there isn't. However, some of the wide blades/discs around consist of two or more welded together at their centre.

Kind Regards, John

I'd just put two in side by side, but a) I'm rough and b) willing to be reckless thus.

I've also had great success mounting two diamond blades side by side in a stihl saw to cut a 10mm guide slot (and also remove as much material as possible with a far cheaper pair of diamond circ blades) for a stone chainsaw cut, but it did take a lot longer to spin up and had a much stronger gyroscopic effect. Be careful

I'd just put two in side by side, but a) I'm rough and b) willing to be reckless thus.
As I implied, I've done that on my time (probably because I have the same characteristics as you :) ), but would really prefer a more 'decent' solution!

Kind Regards, John

I'm sorry, but I don't think it is a good idea to condone the mis-use of power tools, on a public forum.
And especially with regard to angle grinders, the tragic story of a former DIYnot member, appears here from time to time:

Nothing in my post condones, it merely says what I would do. It also carries an advisory of the consequences and a suggestion to be careful.

I work within the limits of what I'm prepared to tolerate; so should anyone else and we are all free to behave as we choose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back