Meet your rulers

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/03/magazine/rupert-murdoch-fox-news-trump.html

Politicians, once bought, feed the powerful who bought them.

"...With the construction of his Australian media empire underway, Murdoch moved on to Britain and Fleet Street, using his newest acquisitions, The News of the World and The Sun, to successfully promote Margaret Thatcher’s candidacy for prime minister. Once elected, her government declined to refer his acquisition of The Times of London to antimonopoly regulators, giving him the country’s leading establishment broadsheet to go with his mass-circulation tabloids..."

"His influence became an uncomfortable fact of British political life, and Murdoch seemed to revel in it. “It’s The Sun Wot Won It,” The Sun declared on its front page in 1992, after helping send the Tory leader John Major to 10 Downing Street by relentlessly smearing the character of his opponent, Neil Kinnock."

"Murdoch could switch parties when it suited his purposes and ably supported Britain’s “New Labor” movement in the 1990s: Conservatives at the time had proposed regulations that would have forced him to scale back his newspaper operations in order to expand further into TV."

"The Reagan administration later waived a prohibition against owning a television station and a newspaper in the same market, allowing Murdoch to hold onto his big metro dailies, The New York Post and The Boston Herald, even as he moved into TV in both cities. The administration of George H.W. Bush suspended rules that forbade broadcast networks to own prime-time shows or to profit from them."

"...“Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us,” David Frum, a former speechwriter for George W. Bush, said in an interview with “Nightline.” “And now we’re discovering we work for Fox.”..."

Sponsored Links
"The Sun, had long been advocating for an exit from the E.U., and so had Murdoch himself, distilling his opposition to the E.U. into a single quote to Anthony Hilton, a columnist at The Evening Standard: “When I go into Downing Street, they do what I say; when I go to Brussels, they take no notice.”"

"The public shaming did not end with the scandal — a worldwide news event for months — or the interrogation by Parliament. A judicial inquiry investigated the practices of the British press, with Murdoch’s papers front and center. The resulting document, the Leveson Report, depicted a country in which a single family had amassed so much power that it had come to feel that the rules did not apply to them. “Sometimes the very greatest power is exercised without having to ask,” the report said. In their discussions with Murdoch, “politicians knew that the prize was personal and political support in his mass-circulation newspapers.”"

Back-seat driver?

07mag-murdoch-ss-slide-TVVT-master675-v4.jpg

Murdoch, Trump and Jerry Hall at Trump’s golf course in Scotland in 2016. Carlo Allegri/Reuters

Sponsored Links
If you were there' you'd better tell us.

"The quote was originally reported in the Evening Standard by Anthony Hilton, who wrote in February: “I once asked Rupert Murdoch why he was so opposed to the European Union. ‘That’s easy,’ he replied. ‘When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.’”

When asked by the Guardian, Hilton said: “I stand by my story.” He said Murdoch made the remarks in a conversation in the early 1980s, when Hilton was city editor of the Times. Hilton, now a columnist for the Evening Standard, has referred to the anecdote several times over the years without either a denial or a complaint from his former boss, until now.

The denial from Murdoch comes at a highly sensitive moment for his business interests, with Fox’s proposed £11.2bn takeover of the 61% of Sky he does not already own expected to be notified to the UK government for approval."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...e-never-asked-any-prime-minister-for-anything

Were you here, as well?

"Meeting notes contradict Murdoch claim not to have asked PMs for help

Minutes of 1998 meeting show media mogul asked Tony Blair to ‘rein in’ European commission on Sky-BT deal"

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...-murdoch-claim-not-to-have-asked-pms-for-help

Back