Megaflo - External Expansion Vessel Feasible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mefaflo cylinder with the internal air bubble which seems to need regenerating every 4 months or so. It takes ages to do this (probably because its on the ground floor of a bungalow and the level of the lowest tap is barely below the level of the tank). Its a pain in the arse job and I wonder if its possible just to forget about the internal bubble and have someone plumb in a 'normal' expansion vessel?

Sponsored Links
It's preferable when you're in an area where the water absorbs the air gap as often as yours does. Trouble is you can't remove the drop tube on a Megaflo to regain the capacity of the cylinder by fully flooding it.

Thanks. Will look into it.

I noticed something odd when I recharge it as well. I usually do it when the tank has run cold, so as not to waste any hot water. But after a while the dribble that comes out of the tap turns hot. Does this mean that the lack of air bubble is preventing access to hot water in the bottom of the tank in some way?

Sponsored Links
Mind it needs to be a G3 (UVHW) qualified 'someone' that should be fitting it as it's a safety feature of the un-vented cylinder. Might be an idea to get it serviced at the same time.

Does this mean that the lack of air bubble is preventing access to hot water in the bottom of the tank in some way?

Not the hot water at the bottom of the tank, more like at the top. As the air bubble is used up the water level rises above the end of the dip tube and when you re-introduce the bubble the level of the water drops in the cylinder. As the hotter water is at the top of the cylinder it will be pushed down towards the dip tube and then out to the taps.

Ah yes - that makes sense. Yes indeed it would be someone suitably qualified who went near it. Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back